• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

FN FNS Review

Gunfighter

Army Icon
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
291   0
Reaction score
So I finally got my hands on my much lusted after FNS-9. Ran 500 rounds through it today LONG session (about 7 hrs total), you're welcome! ;) and here are my views:
The gun comes in a nice locking hard case with 3 mags. I got the gun used, from another ODT member this morning, so original round count is not known.
SIGHTS: The original sights are 3 dot Trijicon with what FN calls "Deep V". Kinda like a U-notch but a more pronounced trough. Mine has a serrated, blacked out rear OEM front. They are the same as factory; just no nite lites. My first impression of the sights are they are TALL! They could be used easily be used with a can. They have the perfect (for me) amount of light on either sign of the front post. They are made of Metal.
CONTROLS: All controls except the take-down lever are AMBI. The Mag Release is big and easy to actuate from both sides. Was able to run the gun with either hand with no rubbing or accidental release. Mags drop free empty or loaded. The slide release is in between Glock's useless one and M&P's slightly larger one. It works. Well. It's ambi and has ridges that prevent accidental activation. And then there is the safety. It's small, unobtrusive, and there if you need it. It will NOT get in the way. At all, and I tried. Use it if you want or don't. The newest models are being shipped "safety free". Takedown lever is straight SIG. No surprises
MAGS: Three all metal 17 round mags with nice bumpers. Welded down the spine with 14 witness holes. Nice, strong, and slick followers. Mags loaded easily and fed reliably. Mags run appx 25-35 bucks. FNS will take FNX mags.
FUNCTION: No failures or jams. Gun ran like a top. Accuracy was what you would expect from a "service" pistol. It will do the job if yours. The real cause for comment is the trigger. I don't know if I got lucky, or they are just this good but WOW! I've had Glock (stock and 3.5#) and M&P (APEX DCAEK) and this one is MUCH better. Before EVERYBODY burns me for heresy, let me explain: The Glock is known for trigger reset and FNS has a nice audible and tactile "click". While the Glock pushes the trigger finger forward and "springs" back into reset; the FN does not. It allows the trigger to reset without "riding to reset". Pull the trigger, bang, release, and it's reset. That's it. Now, overtravel, there is none! It will NOT move rearward past tripping the sear. PERIOD! I LOVE THIS TRIGGER SYSTEM! Nice, clean (like M&P w/ DCAEK), short travel, positive reset, and no overtravel. The trigger is however smooth, and i wish there were some kind of texture or serration on it. That, however, can be fixed by some MILD stippling.
The FNS has an EXTREMELY low bore axis and low slide mass. These combine to make a remarkably quick handling and repeatedly accurate weapon. Target transition and re-engagement were swift and positive. Re-acquisition of target was effortless. Agressive (but not holster ruining) slide serrations allow positive slide manipulation. I dont have a scale, but it is lighter feeling than a G19. REALLY. I promise.
The frame is nicely checkered on the bottom half. Magwell is flared for easy reloading, and it is easy. I found that the flare of the magwell helped anchor my lower hand in place, like the beaver tail does the top portion of my hand. Kinda wish there was some more texture on the upper portion of the frame, but it works. Oddly enough, the flat backstrap feels better but the arched allow me to shoot better. Go Figure :confused:
Now so you guys dont think this is a love fest on FN, here are some draw backs:
Holsters. The FNX and some of the FNP's will work. Safariland makes 5 models of FNS specific holsters. I hear kydex for XDM, M&P, and odly enough Caracal will work. SERPA (if thats your thing) for G20/21 will work.
Magazines: FNX will work, but are as scarce as FNS, will work. Clyde Armory in Athens has PLENTY of mags for 34.99. However, that is the exception and not the rule, and not as available as say Glock, M&P.
Sights: Trijicon, or nothing. FN USA will sell you a set for $75 shipped.

All in all the gun is an OUTSTANDING performer in everything except for maybe logistics (accessories, etc.) Smooth shooting, and handles / carries well. FNH USA will warranty ANY of their handguns for life. No matter who owns them (unlike my beloved HK :mad:). The CS there has been very friendly and willing to discuss your problem at length over the phone. Now the last thing that make me love this gun: the serial number.
Why you say? Mine is GK 00082X. The two letter prefix stands for this weapons intended purpose Glock Killer!

If you have any questions Please feel free to ask and I will answer! And sorry for being long winded (my first real review online!)

Thanks. Not so good at the typing. So please ignore the.spelling errors:) I really like this gun. Did you ever have any trouble with it?

Outstanding assessment! I picked mine up about a month ago. You really hit the nail on the head. Check out "old faithful holsters" I made a IWB kydex for mine.

Sorry about lack of pics. Camera is fubar after being dropped. Will get some for yall ASAP.
If anyone wants to take it for a test drive and are in the Athens / Lawerenceville area let me know. Yall are more than welcome to it.

Very good review, well done. I had a FNP9 a while back, I miss it. What are the main differences between the P, S, and X models?

Very good review, well done. I had a FNP9 a while back, I miss it. What are the main differences between the P, S, and X models?

FNP: main differences are cosmetic. Glock type rail. No safety, decock only.

FNX: updated checkering. Forward cocking serrations. Decocker and safety to allow condition 1 carry. Very much like the FNP-45.

FNS: identical to FNX, just striker fired.
They can all use the same barrels, which is good as there are no FNX in 357SIG.EFK makes threaded FNP barrels too.

Back
Top Bottom