Ford 6.7 diesel

Whitey

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
21   0
Reaction score
I need to add a truck to the fleet. Everything I own right now is a 7.3 liter powerstroke. I know that the 6.0s have a terrible reputation, but does anyone have any real world experience with the 6.7 liter diesels.
We will be pulling 7 ton trailers on a semi regular basis.
Please don't reply with info on Chevy's, I am looking for a work truck not something to pull a lawn mower and groceries with. I am open to a Dodge, but will always be nervous about their transmissions

The 6.7 is a beast at 440hp 860 ft lbs torque

And being I work all them I must say 6.7 monster

The first line up 11 models had weak valve springs and if you want to add tuners I would be on the fence

Driving them easy you will be ok

If we are talking about 13 newer then no worries

Only issues we see with 6.7 is don't allow them to idle long like a fleet vehicle , as this wil cause egr issues and temp sensor issues , they need to be blown out daily ! Dog out once a day

The other is breather assemble is big plastic box and has a sensor it looks like a 400 dollar part but is 40 bucks guess ford knows it's a problem easy fix

Around 100k we are seeing 1 with turbo
Seal leak nothing to worry as we see 10 month for Maintenance

Everything is holding up

Buying new take def and egr last forever

6.4 is junk pure headaches and nightmares that will make a grown man cry

6.0 great if you egr delete and bullet proof trans are decent

7.3 great but are weak compare to anything new today and trans suck

6.7 is top dog diesel truck on road today
Cummins has 900ft lbs 16 models but only 360hp
Duramax is 797ft lbs and has lot catching up

But they have the best trans on market

My best friends father in law has one and he tows 10K lb enclosed trailer weekly with it. Doesnt have a ton of miles, but it also hasnt broken down.

His previous rig was an F-250 with a 6.0 and he had tremendous issues with it until finally selling it for a new F-250. Before that he had a late 90's Cummins that they could not kill. It had 3 or 400K on it when he sold it. Still runs as far as I know.

I did a lot of looking at diesels, including recommended rebuild mileage before buying mine. The new ford has the most power. But out of all I settled on the cummins. By the charts it goes about 100k more miles between rebuilds than the ford and about 150k more than the dmax. The weak point in both the ford and the ram is the transmission. The exception being the aisin tranny you can get with the ram, but it is an option and not standard. With all that, I bought the ram with standard auto tranny. Driven respectably I get about 18 for all my combined driving and over 22 on the hwy. that's doing the speed limit with cruise set and unloaded. Towing is low teens. I have 19k miles on my ram 2500 now with no issues. I love the ride, the look, and the power. My dad has the old 7.3 ford and my friend has a 14 model dmax. What I noted on both is this, the cummins generates a lot of power from its inline configuration, as such it operates going down the hwy unloaded at about 1 psi of boost. The other two doing the same thing are rocking about 4 to 6 psi boost. That may mean nothing, but to me less boost means lower temps and better fuel economy, or that's my thought process. By the way, mine, my dads, and my friends are all stock still. The old 7.3 is a 2002 model that is still rocking!

Back
Top Bottom