• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ford 6.7 diesel

I had a 6.7 in Iraq. It was amazing. The only civilian truck the last an entire tour without major mechanical failure. Even the AC kept working. That was awesome.
Dropped it down a 12ft hole accidentally and had to get it pulled out with an MRAP.
This thing was towing everyday in sandstorms.

I need to add a truck to the fleet. Everything I own right now is a 7.3 liter powerstroke. I know that the 6.0s have a terrible reputation, but does anyone have any real world experience with the 6.7 liter diesels.
We will be pulling 7 ton trailers on a semi regular basis.
Please don't reply with info on Chevy's, I am looking for a work truck not something to pull a lawn mower and groceries with. I am open to a Dodge, but will always be nervous about their transmissions
If you are nervous about the ram transmission, order one with the optional aisin tranny. It's heavier duty and on par supposedly with the Allison tranny. I wanted one and there wasn't one to be found on the lots nearby. Supposed to be near indestructible. Expect to pay more for it if found

If you are nervous about the ram transmission, order one with the optional aisin tranny. It's heavier duty and on par supposedly with the Allison tranny. I wanted one and there wasn't one to be found on the lots nearby. Supposed to be near indestructible. Expect to pay more for it if found

The Aisins are very good

Guess I'm prejudice, I work at a ford dealer in the service department. The 6.7 is a great engine. The 6.4 was awful, especially after 100k. Occasionally I see a sensor or a DEF heater fail but overall solid platform.

Guess I'm prejudice, I work at a ford dealer in the service department. The 6.7 is a great engine. The 6.4 was awful, especially after 100k. Occasionally I see a sensor or a DEF heater fail but overall solid platform.
Oh don't get me wrong, all three of the big three diesels offered now are solid. There really is not a bad choice to be made. Ford did well with the new 6.7. But from what I saw, the cummins goes longer between overhauls. That was the tie breaker for me. But I'd take a ford 6.7 in a heartbeat if the price was right. I could get the package I wanted on the ram cheaper than on the ford, though the ford had a higher tow rating, torque, and horsepower. I just didn't need more than about 15k in towing, so the higher capability wasn't needed, it came down to expense.

You should be prejudiced. Take pride in what you do. Ford did good on the 6.7.

My 6.4 never gave me a hassle running 9" lift with 38s tuned and deleted. But everyone has a preference
It's a proven fact that the 6.4 is junk and very expensive as it breaks down all the time

Most likely you didn't have it long enough or bought when someone replaced everything

I work on more 6.4 then then any other Diesel engine

It's a proven fact that the 6.4 is junk and very expensive as it breaks down all the time

Most likely you didn't have it long enough or bought when someone replaced everything

I work on more 6.4 then then any other Diesel engine

my original post was incorrect. the truck we had in iraq was a 2010. It had the 6.4L
turbo lag like a bitch, but boy that was a tough truck.
I'd take one any day.

Back
Top Bottom