• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ford Ranger AC issue

Check the clutch gap. Could be wearing out and takes a little more voltage or you hit a bump and it pulls in. If that's the problem the clutch plate usually has at least 1 shim between it and the shaft. You can take it out and if it doesn't scrub without the shim it should get you by for a while. Seen that on several ford trucks. The way to test it is to turn on the ac, see that the clutch isn't turning, and carefully bump the clutch plate with a screwdriver handle or peice of wood. Careful not to get it caught in any spinning parts. If it engages from the bump you have your problem solved.

Check the clutch gap. Could be wearing out and takes a little more voltage or you hit a bump and it pulls in. If that's the problem the clutch plate usually has at least 1 shim between it and the shaft. You can take it out and if it doesn't scrub without the shim it should get you by for a while. Seen that on several ford trucks. The way to test it is to turn on the ac, see that the clutch isn't turning, and carefully bump the clutch plate with a screwdriver handle or peice of wood. Careful not to get it caught in any spinning parts. If it engages from the bump you have your problem solved.
Another good call. Thanks

My expectation was that a relay would fail more like a fuse. I've got a new relay installed and I'll need to try it on a cold start in the morning.

A relay is an electric switch.....is nothing like a fuse.

It is common for the ECM not to send the signal to the relay to allow ac operation. Idle speed, coolant temp, mass air flow and a number of other things can cause the ecm to not allow ac operation....as well as a plain ole bad ECM.

Of course voltage supply to the relay could be off, clutch coil bad....lots of things.

^^^ what he said^^^
What year model and options are we talking?
What kind of HVAC control does it have? If it's an auto temp controlled this is ordinary assuming we are talking only a few minutes.

A relay is an electric switch.....is nothing like a fuse.

It is common for the ECM not to send the signal to the relay to allow ac operation. Idle speed, coolant temp, mass air flow and a number of other things can cause the ecm to not allow ac operation....as well as a plain ole bad ECM.

Of course voltage supply to the relay could be off, clutch coil bad....lots of things.

^^^ what he said^^^
What year model and options are we talking?
What kind of HVAC control does it have? If it's an auto temp controlled this is ordinary assuming we are talking only a few minutes.
Good points. Hopefully the new relay has done the trick. I'll find out in the morning.

The truck is a base model, so no climate control, just a standard Ford three dial panel.

Back
Top Bottom