Fraud on my credit card again....

We ditched credit cards years ago. I have actually considered having one as a backup for the few days it takes to get a new card though. How would a credit card be less hassle?

Ditching credit cards is wise if it makes it difficult for you to keep track of your spending and control of impulsive buying habits. But credit cards don't create debt, people do (see what I did there). There's nothing wrong with having them and they can actually benefit you from a credit perspective. I actually don't use my debit card for anything unless I have to. Credit cards just seem to be much more secure.

I hear you. Generally speaking a check/debit card freaks people out because it directly affects your account. I understand that, but to date I've never been out a penny. The only issue is a pending charge that is fraud will post and then they reimburse you.

I'm just willing to bet that if you get a credit card that doesn't have a debit option, you'll find yourself dealing with this much less. You may not be out any money, but it's a hassle when all is said and done.

Ditching credit cards is wise if it makes it difficult for you to keep track of your spending and control of impulsive buying habits. But credit cards don't create debt, people do (see what I did there). There's nothing wrong with having them and they can actually benefit you from a credit perspective. I actually don't use my debit card for anything unless I have to. Credit cards just seem to be much more secure.

Yeah, seems to is probably the operative phrase. We did the whole Dave Ramsey thing, so we haven't had a CC in over 5 years or so.

What does the debit part have to do with it? I don't see how that matters.

You know, I read something about it a while back and I don't recall the details, but it was something about it making things more complicated, i.e. different payment methods via one card. So I guess you've gotta take things with a grain of salt from me since I can't give any details. All I know is that if this happened to me every 4-6 months I would seek a different option. Even if it was a debit card with a different bank.

Dave Ramsey is great, but I don't feel that his recommendations are the best fit for me. I also recognize that he has helped a LOT of people out of debt. I was in about $18K worth of credit card debt at one point and I got out of it while going against Ramsey's cardinal rules. I personally think using a credit card and an online personal financial management resource (i.e. mint.com) is a MUCH better way of handling your finances. But if it's worked for you, then stick to it. Good for you for getting on a good financial plan that has worked for you. This is all a different topic than your original question though.

I had the same thing happen to my Amazon Card (Chase account). When it happened the first time I had them cancel the card and send another. I then put that card I the safe and never used it. About 8 months later I get notified that someone was trying to use my card. The same one that I had put in the safe and never used. I asked how this could happen as I never activated the second card. They informed me that it came in pre-activated. I told them to cancel the account.

I've had this happen several times as well. When I lived in Savannah it was every few months. I'm pretty sure it was somewhere I was visiting, but was never able to pin point. Have not had this happen since I moved. There are some really nifty CC scanners that can be attached to swipe devices criminals use to steal your information. Same as you though I never had to pay a cent it was just an inconvenience.

Here you go-

Debit card- You are using your money for the transaction. You buy, it goes out of your account. If it is Fraudulent, you have to get YOUR money back into your account.

Credit Card- You use THEIR funds to pay for the transaction. They send you a bill (statement) at the end of the month of what you owe them. If it is fraudulent you dispute it and only send what you owe. Pay within terms, no service/interest fee.

This is why I use Credit, and pay in full every month. No risk of my funds being taken.

Someone may have your account info, that has nothing to do with the card. If they have that they can auto draft your account without the card. I would close account and go to a credit union or local bank if I was having those problems every few months.

Go to Associated Credit Union

Back
Top Bottom