• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Fraudulent activity on debit card

KOMRAD

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
47   0
Reaction score
Anyone else having issues?

Last month, I replaced my card as the chip no longer worked and walmart among others didnt accept the swipe. 2 weeks later I had fraudulent activity. 8 transactions from Twitch Entertainment for 19.95 each.

I reported to the bank. And got a new card.
This week, I recieved letters stating my card is compromised. The other letters said no prior fraud/error was found and they were taking the money back from my disputes. I check my history last night and found a new fraudulent charge for $350.

There is more to the story but I'm not happy with United Community Bank. Calling them again...

Two new cards and this mess to deal with... fighting with the bank over the obvious.

Last month, I replaced my card as the chip no longer worked and walmart among others didnt accept the swipe. 2 weeks later I had fraudulent activity. 8 transactions from Twitch Entertainment for 19.95 each.

This week, I recieved letters stating my card is compromised. The other letters said no prior fraud/error was found and they were taking the money back from my disputes. I check my history last night and found a new fraudulent charge for $350.

There is more to the story but I'm not happy with United Community Bank. Calling them again...

Two new cards and this mess to deal with... fighting with the bank over the obvious.

Do the new cards have the same card numbers, or did they also issue a new card number each time?

If it's got an rfid chip, you need to be mindful that they can be read from multiple feet away with just a little bit of gear. Keep your cards in a shielded wallet or use the little foil pouches (shortens the range they can be activated at) and look for piggyback scanners when you're using them.

Two brand card numbers each time.

I'd guess my bank or master card has an internal breach due to two separate issues occurring right after the new cards are issued.

Sounds like it’s time to find a new bank and credit card if they don’t stand behind fraudulent charges. If the second card was a new number, I don’t know how they could keep accessing the account. Maybe the bank has a security issue protecting customer account numbers.

I hope you aren’t using a debit credit card for any online purchases.

Two brand card numbers each time.

I'd guess my bank or master card has an internal breach due to two separate issues occurring right after the new cards are issued.

Less likely on the internal breach. More likely your card was skimmed physically or used online at a retailer that's not secure. Gas station pumps are an easy target for skimmer of the card swipe and RF variety. Same goes for vending machines.

Do the new cards have the same card numbers, or did they also issue a new card number each time?

If it's got an rfid chip, you need to be mindful that they can be read from multiple feet away with just a little bit of gear. Keep your cards in a shielded wallet or use the little foil pouches (shortens the range they can be activated at) and look for piggyback scanners when you're using them.
Yep, a lady friend said she was recently checking out at a store, said some guy came up and stood uncomfortably close for a minute, then walked off. Within 30 minutes she started getting notifications from her bank that her card was on a spending spree.
We immediately ordered a bunch of those little individual foil card protector envelopes. Hope they work.

Who uses a debit card in 2023? Virtually zero protection from fraud.
Dunno, but the other day I saw a little ol’ lady in front of me writing a check at the grocery store.
Line’s all backed up, no one wants to pay enough checkout clerks.
She waits ‘til clerk gives her the total, then starts digging in her purse for checkbook and pen.
Aaarrgggh!

I bank with UCBI and keep my debit card locked via their card controls app. I log in and unlock it when I'm about to use it and lock it back immediately after, haven't had any issues since I've been doing this.

Back
Top Bottom