• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Free FFLs

NGIB

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
68   0
Reaction score
At least once a week I see a post asking if there are any FFLs that do free transfers. I like free just as much as anyone but I really have to ask: How is an FFL supposed to stay in business if we are all looking for free service? We all find the cheap guns at Bud's, CDNN, and the other online stores and then we want our local FFLs to receive them free so it's as cheap as possible for us. Does it really make sense that we expect this service from the local brick and mortal dealers?

Maybe it's just me but I'd rather pay a reasonable fee just so I know that the dealer will still be there tomorrow...

Cherokee gun and pawn in Canton does free transfers. I've been told that 4th Armory in Marietta does, however, I looked for their location in at the corner of Roswell st and Fairground st for 10 minutes driving around that small area and could not find it. I did call and after a few trys was able to reach them and get more specific directions. They have very limited hours and tough to find but according to past posts they do free transfers for ODT members.

Cherokee has a booming business and more than once when I picked up a firearm I had transferred in for free I bought other items also. The jury is still out on 4th armory. Very nice people, decent pricing, except for the 22lr they were selling at the show this weekend and seem to have a great following. I think it is a service that they offer to get new customers in to see what they have, at that point, pricing, service and hospitality is what will keep people coming back for other items than just a free transfer.

Last edited:
To be honest, a small transfer fee would be fine with me, but it literally takes 10 minutes for a shop to log a transfer in, so to me anything over $10 or so is simply bilking their customers.

I do have all my transfer shipped to Cherokee to save the fee. But I also can't count how many times I've picked up something there, then seen 'that gun' in their display and picked it up as well. That's happened 3-4 times I can think of. I always find something to buy that probably offsets the cost of transfer... ammo, magazines, etc..

I'm pretty sure Cherokee makes more off the sales from the traffic they bring in through free transfers than they would from charging for them. Just a guess, but I can't see them doing it if it was costing them money.

If you flip it around, I'm pretty sure that places that charge $50 to transfer only do it to make their own inflated prices look lower. Those are the guys that I think should get out of the business. If you can't deal with your customers shopping around, you probably shouldn't be in business in the first place.

I take care of shops that take care of me. I've had Cherokee do 2 transfers for me. They might have missed out on $50. But I've also brought 2 guns and a suppressor from them and I plan on getting at least 2 more guns from them. Heck I have about 5-6 gun shops closer to me but the free transfers, nice people, and good prices keeps me going back to them.

Many folks will buy something when in the store but I'm sure many of them will not - they just want the "free lunch". I never see a thread with the title "Reasonably priced FFL trasfers" so my guess is that folks want something for nothing. My FFL charges a reasonable fee and will also ship a gun for me at cost. I want them to stay in business so I have no problem paying for service received...

At least once a week I see a post asking if there are any FFLs that do free transfers. I like free just as much as anyone but I really have to ask: How is an FFL supposed to stay in business if we are all looking for free service? We all find the cheap guns at Bud's, CDNN, and the other online stores and then we want our local FFLs to receive them free so it's as cheap as possible for us. Does it really make sense that we expect this service from the local brick and mortal dealers?

Maybe it's just me but I'd rather pay a reasonable fee just so I know that the dealer will still be there tomorrow...

Amen to American Capitalism!!!

if a few more stores did it like cherokee gun and pawn then id be all about it

id still rather drive to a store that did free transfers then pay someone 25 or 30 bucks for a transfer (seriously, their time is not worth it to me)

I have a GWL so if I pay a local dealer $20 to fill out a 2 minute form, I think they did OK since the margin is probably not much less than if I had bought the gun from them in the first place. If they have something else I need I will buy it while there. I haven't found any place near me that does free transfers, but if there were, I would probably use the free transfer and spend the $20-25 I saved on something else anyhow.

... My FFL charges a reasonable fee and will also ship a gun for me at cost. I want them to stay in business so I have no problem paying for service received...

I think that is the key there. It sounds like you have a good shop there, if they charge a reasonable fee, have a good selection and decent prices, I'm all for shopping local. The problem is that too many local shops think that they don't have to compete... whether it's on price or service or selection. They assume that as your 'local' store they are entitled to your business.

Cherokee definitely competes on price. However AO does just fine selling at somewhat higher prices by having a large selection. Places like Cabelas compete by charging full price for a slightly limited selection, but provide an 'experience'. All of these work and all are perfectly valid models.

What gets me the shop that doesn't have any selection, overcharges on what they do have, doesn't offer and services, and charges $50 on a transfer. Those guys can go out of business without me shedding a tear...

Back
Top Bottom