• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Free lead for reloading.

Pfoneman

Wolf Icon
Frontiersman
53   0
Reaction score
Got about 20-30 pounds of lead that was removed from underground phone cable. Don’t know anything about it except BellSouth never bought junk. Heavy as hell. Got it on the back of my phone truck so you’ll have to meet me in Chamblee, Dunwoody or Sandy Springs. Saved it this time cause I thought maybe one of my ODT brothers might want to try it. Let me know if you have any questions and I’ll try to answer them.

Thanks.

Man, I wish you were closer.

FWIW, telephone cable sheathing is the purest, softest lead commonly available and is used by a lot of reloaders as the standard by which to gauge bullet hardness, and the basis for alloys. You're correct about Southern Bell/Bellsouth (and everything else AT&T) being the very best.

The only common source that is marginally purer is lead plates from an x-ray facility.

roof flashing is close.

It's hard to find pure lead these days because so much of is being recycled, and the uses for pure lead are disappearing.

FWIW 2, my father built the main switching facilities for Southern Bell from 1931 until 1959, and we saw a lot of that lead sheathed cable. When I started reloading the sheathing was still pretty common. Friend at a local recycling facility offered me 500 lbs. free, and I had to turn it down because I just didn't have a way to handle it.

Sorry guys. It was first come kinda thing and it got spoken. I’ll get the member who’s picking up to let me know if it’s any good and if it is I’ll get some more. Thanks for the interest.

That dog will lie and tell you it's no good but he will do you a favor and take it to get it off your hands. :barbershop_quartet_

If you have a source for lead get it you can sell it or be really nice and give it here. It would no doubt be worth a box of ammo to me.

The purer the lead the better it is for me but I will take lead wheel weights too.

Back
Top Bottom