• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Free lead for reloading.

I’ve got a source. We’ve got a job scheduled on Roswell Rd between Windsor Pkwy and Wieuca Rd to pull a bunch of the old lead cable out of a manhole run and replace it with PIC cable. We spent one day setting up manholes and prepping one end and they pulled me off to work a fiber job. Fiber cable take presidence now a days and I’m the only guy in our crew that does both. Lead cable is old school. The new guys don’t know nothing about it. Soon as they get everything in that we need and decide they can spare me for about a week, we should start pulling it out of the duct runs. Soon as we don’t I’ll post it again and try to share the wealth as much as possible.

Once we split the case and remove the lead sheath it’s about a 1/4” thick by 18”-24” wide by about 1800’ long. We cut it up with hydraulic shears into 2’ sections to make it easier to handle. They recycle the copper on the inside but not the lead. Normally we would put it in a big steel bin and pay a hazardous waste company to dispose of it. That’s why once we start I can keep as much as I want. The outside has a very light amount of “oxidation?” But the rest is as shinny as a new nickle. Back when we did do a lot of lead work, we would re-use the lead we took out and just smelt it and skim any impurities of the top in a smelting pot. Very little contamination was floating on the top, the rest was pretty much pure lead.

Back
Top Bottom