• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Funny Issue

wnchstrtnfldvlle

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
70   0
Reaction score
So funny story,

Finally got everything in that I had ordered, as far as reloading goes. And im sitting here with Bullets, casings, and powder for 300 blk, but no primers. And i'm sitting here with bullets, casings, primers and no powder for 9mm.

Anyone know if small pistol primers can work in 300 blk loads? Ive seen on the web where people have used them with no issues, but wanted to ask here. I have regular and magnum if that helps.

I have the CCI primers, 210 gr berger Match bullets, and either IMR 4227, or 4198 powder.

i40.tinypic.com_1zzrx9g.jpg

It is not advisable to switch out rifle primers with pistol primers. They are designed to take different pressures and the thickness of the cup is different. I would not do it. WDE!!! BTW

I believe the height of the primer is different as well, meaning they would seat deeper and possibly subject the OP to light strikes

OP, If you were local I would get you some SRP

edit to add... oh wait, you're an auburn fan.

of course Small Pistol Primers will work!!!!!!! But to offset the lower pressure you have to fill the case full of powder and compress a 220 grain bullet on top!

kidding of course!

So funny story,

Finally got everything in that I had ordered, as far as reloading goes. And im sitting here with Bullets, casings, and powder for 300 blk, but no primers. And i'm sitting here with bullets, casings, primers and no powder for 9mm.

Anyone know if small pistol primers can work in 300 blk loads? Ive seen on the web where people have used them with no issues, but wanted to ask here. I have regular and magnum if that helps.

I have the CCI primers, 210 gr berger Match bullets, and either IMR 4227, or 4198 powder.

i40.tinypic.com_1zzrx9g.jpg

considering that suppressor companies say subsonic 300 blk is good in 9mm cans i suspect pressure would not be an issue. seating depth however is different. Hodgdons sight says 357 mag loads run 40K CUP, 300 blk subs around 30K. load a few empties with just a primer and see if your gun will go pop. if yes, then i dont see why not.

The the magnum pistol primers will work with the 4227, but you will have to waste a lot of time developing a load in order to verify the primer can handle the pressure. You could e-mail Hodgdon and ask them about it. I don't know weather or not they will work with the 4198. The difference is the ability to withstand pressure, and the size of the flame generated by the primer charge. Generally: the hotter the primer, the harder it is to set off, and the harder the firing pin has to hit it to set it off.

The dimensions of the small rifle and small pistol primers are the same. Large rifle and large pistol have different dimensions -- the rifle is taller and will stick out of the base of a pistol case.

Last edited:
So have an update.

Have managed to set up my Worlds finest trimmer to get the desired 1.358 length. I have noticed though, that some of my cases require another pass through the die to get to the desired length. I was tracking that the WFT indexes off of the shoulder of the casing. So my question is, what does this tell me? Do I need to try to adjust the sizing die, not enough lube on the casings?

Also, I found some of the CCI BR4 Small Rifle Primers. Through research I believe I can use them, but wanted to hear your opinions.

So have an update.

Have managed to set up my Worlds finest trimmer to get the desired 1.358 length. I have noticed though, that some of my cases require another pass through the die to get to the desired length. I was tracking that the WFT indexes off of the shoulder of the casing. So my question is, what does this tell me? Do I need to try to adjust the sizing die, not enough lube on the casings?

Also, I found some of the CCI BR4 Small Rifle Primers. Through research I believe I can use them, but wanted to hear your opinions.

If you did not have enough lube on the cases you would know it, LOL. Smae as if you were using too much. The sizing die should have instuctions on setting it up. I run the ram all the way to the top and adjust the die to touch the shellholder and then go 1/8 turn more just to make sure. It sounds like you might just have some mixed brass if everything is being setup properly. Sometimes even brass from the same lot can have different lengths. Also the bench rest primers will be good to go as long as they are SR.

Back
Top Bottom