• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Furniture/Anique Restoration, Refinish, Repurpose Brothers out there?

I have been refinishing and repairing antique furniture for 20+ years. I personally cannot stand painted antique furniture (Martha Stewart). I lost count of how many pieces I have removed paint from and restored them to their original finish. Most of the furniture and steamer trunks date from late 1800's to early 1900's. I used to have booths at antique malls and hire out for individual pieces. I even made a case for an ODT member to display his M1 Garand in.

Empire dressers
Steamer trunks
Oak dressers
Oak kitchen tables
Walnut dressers
Mahogany dressers
Antique mirrors
Wood file cabinets
Clawfoot piano stools

Some of the memorable ones:
1. M1 Garand case
2. An empire dresser someone painted orange. Stripped the entire dresser and it was solid mahogany with beautiful flame mahogany drawers. When I finished it was beautiful and I wished I had kept it.
3. A wood file cabinet from a printing company in Savannah GA. I was hired to refinish it. It was painted awful green. It took hours to painstakingly pick paint out with dental tools. I had to make new wood rollers for the drawers. I refinished the exterior in a golden oak with hand wax. The gentleman that purchased it nearly went to tears when I pulled it out of my truck. I delivered it to his home and when I entered I noticed other pieces of furniture I had worked on and sold at the mall. He stated he liked my work and purchased several.
4. An oak 3 drawer dresser from the 1700's that was painted. The unique scallop and pinned dovetail dates it.
5. A large wall mirror 2.5' x 4' that was painted with 3 different spray paints. The back is wood slats put together with cut nails. The back of the mirror is stamped sterling silver. The front is mahogany and gold gilding.
6. Hired to repair and refinish an original foot locker that belonged to a WAC from WWII. The woman that hired me explained it was her mother's and she had passed away. She handed it to me in pieces. When I brought it back to her she was crying as I sat it down in front of her.

I love taking something that was damaged or painted and bringing it back to life so it can be used and admired
Below are the mirror that was painted and the Empire dresser that had been completely orange.

again.
Antique mirror.jpg
Antique mirror gilding.jpg
Empire dresser.jpg

I have been refinishing and repairing antique furniture for 20+ years. I personally cannot stand painted antique furniture (Martha Stewart). I lost count of how many pieces I have removed paint from and restored them to their original finish. Most of the furniture and steamer trunks date from late 1800's to early 1900's. I used to have booths at antique malls and hire out for individual pieces. I even made a case for an ODT member to display his M1 Garand in.

Empire dressers
Steamer trunks
Oak dressers
Oak kitchen tables
Walnut dressers
Mahogany dressers
Antique mirrors
Wood file cabinets
Clawfoot piano stools

Some of the memorable ones:
1. M1 Garand case
2. An empire dresser someone painted orange. Stripped the entire dresser and it was solid mahogany with beautiful flame mahogany drawers. When I finished it was beautiful and I wished I had kept it.
3. A wood file cabinet from a printing company in Savannah GA. I was hired to refinish it. It was painted awful green. It took hours to painstakingly pick paint out with dental tools. I had to make new wood rollers for the drawers. I refinished the exterior in a golden oak with hand wax. The gentleman that purchased it nearly went to tears when I pulled it out of my truck. I delivered it to his home and when I entered I noticed other pieces of furniture I had worked on and sold at the mall. He stated he liked my work and purchased several.
4. An oak 3 drawer dresser from the 1700's that was painted. The unique scallop and pinned dovetail dates it.
5. A large wall mirror 2.5' x 4' that was painted with 3 different spray paints. The back is wood slats put together with cut nails. The back of the mirror is stamped sterling silver. The front is mahogany and gold gilding.
6. Hired to repair and refinish an original foot locker that belonged to a WAC from WWII. The woman that hired me explained it was her mother's and she had passed away. She handed it to me in pieces. When I brought it back to her she was crying as I sat it down in front of her.

I love taking something that was damaged or painted and bringing it back to life so it can be used and admired
Below are the mirror that was painted and the Empire dresser that had been completely orange.

again.View attachment 4097298View attachment 4097297View attachment 4097303
nice!!!!

This is not really a restoration, but more of a repurpose. Wife wanted a new kitchen Island, and I didn't want to buy one! Ended up buying the lower half of an old china cabinet, and repainting it. The top is what's special though, lot of sentimental value in that top.

This old oak beam, was part of the work bench in my Dad's shop when I was a little bitty 'un. I chopped that sucker up like a loaf of bread, then glued the slices to a piece of plywood. Made a surround out of walnut to frame it. Filled the empty spaces with epoxy, died black, then sanded, and sanded and sanded to get it flat. Finally put 4 coats of polyurethane on it for a kitchen safe finish. Oh...I made the drawer pulls out of walnut as well, to match the top.

Wife is happy...that's what matters.

IMG_0193.jpg
IMG_0199.jpg
IMG_0208.jpg
IMG_0244.jpg
IMG_0268.jpg
IMG_0264.jpg
IMG_0265.jpg

This is not really a restoration, but more of a repurpose. Wife wanted a new kitchen Island, and I didn't want to buy one! Ended up buying the lower half of an old china cabinet, and repainting it. The top is what's special though, lot of sentimental value in that top.

This old oak beam, was part of the work bench in my Dad's shop when I was a little bitty 'un. I chopped that sucker up like a loaf of bread, then glued the slices to a piece of plywood. Made a surround out of walnut to frame it. Filled the empty spaces with epoxy, died black, then sanded, and sanded and sanded to get it flat. Finally put 4 coats of polyurethane on it for a kitchen safe finish. Oh...I made the drawer pulls out of walnut as well, to match the top.

View attachment 4573614View attachment 4573615View attachment 4573619View attachment 4573621View attachment 4573622View attachment 4573623View attachment 4573624
That's beautiful work Sir! Bravo!

View attachment 4573614View attachment 4573615View attachment 4573619View attachment 4573621View attachment 4573622View attachment 4573623View attachment 4573624
Hey brother I really like that! What did you use as a fill? Is that acrylic?

I love seeing when you guys think out of the box! The Singer sewing machine nightstands the reclaimed wood tops, taking an old dresser and making it a center Island! This is inspirational!

This is our current 150-year-old kitchen table!

Attachments

• 20201221_200602.jpg
    20201221_200602.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20201221_200909.jpg
    20201221_200909.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20201221_200539.jpg
    20201221_200539.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom