• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ga armed guard qualification

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
Can anybody here tell me what the newest standards are for the State-mandated firearms qualification shoot for armed guards?
I see according to the Rules for the Georgia Board of Private Detectives & Security Agencies, Rule 509 -3- .10, the actual course of fire is up to the training agency, so long as it includes shooting from 3 yards, 7 yards, and 15 yards, and firing 6 shots, 12 shots, and 24 shots minimum.

Has anybody taken a private guard shooting test in the last few years?
Were there any longer shots--maybe 25 yds?
Any shooting one handed?
Weak hand only?
Using cover?
Moving while shooting?
Reloading / swapping mags on the clock?

C4C251C1-1D0C-4F03-BD8A-2DFDAC4A8C39.jpeg

I assume these are the targets.
The AQT, Georgia's law enforcement official qualification target.
The 10-point chest zone is 10" wide by 8" tall, and the "head shot" 10-point zone is 4" wide by 2" tall.
The center of the head target zone is exactly 11 inches above the center of the chest target zone .

The center of the head target is located basically between the eyes, NOT high up on the forehead.

The center of the chest target is well above the center of the torso; it is the upper chest, at armpit level.

Other law enforcement targets have the highest-value zone located center of visible mass, more like the belly or stomach.

It really depends on the instructor. I qualified last year and we fired a total of 48 rounds. 25 yards was the longest. There was nothing too cumbersome.

Has anybody taken a private guard shooting test in the last few years?
Were there any longer shots--maybe 25 yds?
Any shooting one handed?
Weak hand only?
Using cover?
Moving while shooting?
Reloading / swapping mags on the clock?

Non of most of that. The only 1 hand is from the hip at 3 yards. I took it 5 years ago. It is easy

Good point thanks.
I just searched the "Rules" for the State, and found nothing in the 509 section, where the topic is private security and guards.

No target style or size is specified.
I suppose the training agency could have a billboard and sign company print targets the size of barn doors, with a 10-point (bullseye) zone a meter in diameter!

I'm a License Board instructor this is right out of the book. Hope this helps

Rule 509-3-.10. Firearm Training Curriculum for Handguns.
(1)
This curriculum is intended to meet the minimum requirements of the Georgia Board of
Private Detective and Security Agencies. A minimum passing score of 80% must be
achieved on a written exam addressing the topics listed below in subparagraphs (a), (b), (1)
(i), (1) (ii), (1) (iii), and (c), proctored by a firearms instructor licensed by t
he Board.
A minimum passing score of 80% must be achieved on the firing range, proctored by a
firearms instructor licensed by the Board. All armed personnel must comply with the
requirements of Board Rule
-
-
(2)
The holders of weapon permits must qualify with the same type weapon carried. Two (2)
strings of 48 rounds with the highest score to be used for qualification with a minimum
qualifying score of 80%. A minimum of 15 hours of instruction is required for the firearm
training curriculum for handguns, administered by an instructor who is licensed by the
Board, consisting of the following:
(a)
One (1) hour of instruction in the use of deadly force. The instruction shall include
Georgia Laws 16
-3- 21 & 17-
4- 20, Official Code of Georgia Annotated;
(b)
Two (2) hours of instruction in liability issues. The instruction shall include Georgia
Laws
16-
1- 3(5), 16-
1- 3(6), Title 42, USC Sec. 1983;
Issues to be covered shall include three (3) situations which justify use of
deadly force.
Three (3) situations are as follows:
(i)
Defense of self from great bodily harm of death;
(ii)
Defense of a third person from great bodily harm of death; and
(iii)
To prevent the commission of a forcible felony.
(c)
One hour of instruction in ballistics to include selecting the proper
ammunition and
factors that affect trajectory, over
-penetration and ricochet;
(d)
Three hours of instruction in types of handguns. This instruction shall include the
following:
Nomenclature;
Selection of a handgun;
Selection of proper ammunition;
Care and cleaning of a handgun;
Proper techniques for storage, loading and unloading a handgun;
Selection of the proper holster and equipment for your weapon;
Weapon retention techniques.
(e)
Eight (8) hours of instruction in firearm range qualifications. This instruction shall
include the following:
Proper stance;
Proper grip and draw;
Sight alignment, sight picture, and trigger control;
Firearm range safety;
Range procedures and rules of conduct;
Course of fire as set by instructor to include, but not limited to, the following:
Distance Rounds
3 Yards 24
7 Yards 18
15 Yards 6

Back
Top Bottom