• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ga now allows completion of hunter safety course entirely online

BHJ

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
37   0
Reaction score
I got this notification earlier today.
Hopefully it will help with those folks who are having trouble finding a class to get in to.
It seems like they were always full or too far away or a scheduling conflict for a lot of folks.
Way to go Georgia DNR.

Wildlife Resources Division - GADNR
47 mins ·
Georgia joins 12 other states in allowing students to complete their hunter education course at THEIR convenience and completely online. Previously, the online option only allowed students to take the course partially online and partially in a classroom. Still want a classroom course? No problem, the traditional classroom course is still available. For more information, visit the link below.

Hunter Education | Georgia DNR - Wildlife Resources Division

Last edited:
Some of you might know this, but just in case. They prices for all hunting/fishing licenses will double next year. I was informed of this a couple of months ago by some Rangers.

I'm conflicted about that. Yes it's more convenient but the knowledge gained in one on one interaction with good instructors and fellow classmates can not be duplicated online. It's unfortunate DNR can not seem to make the classes more readily available.

I agree.

I'm conflicted about that. Yes it's more convenient but the knowledge gained in one on one interaction with good instructors and fellow classmates can not be duplicated online. It's unfortunate DNR can not seem to make the classes more readily available.
+1

I see your point and I know there are plenty of dull knives in the drawer but I don't think too many people just up and decide to take up hunting on their own without a mentor.
I do know this makes it much easier on familys that have brought their young family members up to respect firearms and the game they hunt to carry on the traditions.
Of course taking the kids for the Hunters safety course has become kind of a right of passage of its own.

I see your point and I know there are plenty of dull knives in the drawer but I don't think too many people just up and decide to take up hunting on their own without a mentor.
I do know this makes it much easier on familys that have brought their young family members up to respect firearms and the game they hunt to carry on the traditions.
Of course taking the kids for the Hunters safety course has become kind of a right of passage of its own.
"Too many" I think is a relative term. I seen even on this forum, people suggest that very thing (heading off into the woods alone with zero experience or mentoring). It makes me cringe. I promise you no one wants to encourage new hunters or foster the hunting heritage more than I. I have offered to, and have taken multiple people hunting for their first time and still do, but we can only be in so many places at one time. I tried TWICE to make concerted efforts to become a safety instructor (including a one on one with the person managing the program) and will just say they are incredibly disorganized. I realize part of it is funds but at some point, it's about priority. The safety course is a legislated requirement and sadly I believe this simply is the easiest way to get around that requirement as eliminating the legislative requirement would surely and appropriately meet much resistance.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I haven't hunted in over 30 years. Can't stand the thought of freezing my butt of in a stand when I could be out fishing. That said, I have no idea how to clean an animal or the other wonderful stuff that goes with hunting. My son wants to go hunting and I told him he needed this class, but finding one that worked for us is a challenge. I had hoped he would have some face to face interaction with somebody who had been there. If he can get away with doing it online, this will be just like any other video game. Rush through it, don't retain the info and check the box. Probably not a good idea in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom