• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

GA State Defense Force Opinions?

FreezeDryGuy

Eagle Icon Supporter
Frontiersman
11   0
Reaction score
I recently discovered the GSDF. Do we have anyone currently or previously involved?

It looks interesting to me, reached out to a recruiter there. I primarily am interested because:

1. It would give me the opportunity to give back to GA
2. Meet like minded people
3. Get more advanced training in areas that interest me
4. Monthly training would be a great way to get some outdoor/exercise time in

Thoughts?

I haven't been directly involved but I do know some guys that have been in the GSDF about 5 years ago. I'm not sure if anything has changed but last I was told; You pay for everything yourself (uniforms, gear ect...) and anything not on the approved list you must get approved prior to using/wearing.

They spend most of their time directing traffic or similar duties for government events, assist with missing person searches, disaster response and similar activities. No weapons or tactical training of any kind. You do get some good first responder training. Most of the upper ranks consist of prior military officers or wealthy guys but it tends to be a more relaxed atmosphere unless you're assigned to a company with a CO that's "that guy".

Not everyone is a vet so you do get civilians with zero clue on a lot of basic stuff. I think everyone gets credentials that will get you on base but I'm not sure if that's still something they do. Most of the guys I knew that got involved got fed up with the politics (who you know) and the lack of organization.

It's State wide so you might be asked to go anywhere that's needed and it might be at your own expense unless something has changed.

Back
Top Bottom