• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

GA State Defense Force Opinions?

I haven't been directly involved but I do know some guys that have been in the GSDF about 5 years ago. I'm not sure if anything has changed but last I was told; You pay for everything yourself (uniforms, gear ect...) and anything not on the approved list you must get approved prior to using/wearing.

They spend most of their time directing traffic or similar duties for government events, assist with missing person searches, disaster response and similar activities. No weapons or tactical training of any kind. You do get some good first responder training. Most of the upper ranks consist of prior military officers or wealthy guys but it tends to be a more relaxed atmosphere unless you're assigned to a company with a CO that's "that guy".

Not everyone is a vet so you do get civilians with zero clue on a lot of basic stuff. I think everyone gets credentials that will get you on base but I'm not sure if that's still something they do. Most of the guys I knew that got involved got fed up with the politics (who you know) and the lack of organization.

It's State wide so you might be asked to go anywhere that's needed and it might be at your own expense unless something has changed.

Good to know. Nothing like politics to spoil the fun...

I'll definitely need to understand what type of time commitment it is. The help needed for a particularly bad (rare) natural disaster? Absolutely. Needing to take time off to direct traffic? that's a big no for me.

Voluntold. A few bdu’s paid for by you. And you get to play army man. I be willing to bet a lot of Airsoft freaks just cream at the chance to do something like this.

Kudos for anyone willing to help where it’s needed. But I’m thinking this is more like making people feel involved and “part of the team” without having to pay, clothe or otherwise offer any compensation of any kind.

They perform a very useful job. They helped my unit mobilize for Enduring Freedom, Crested River and several other ones.

Pretty much what WC1911guy WC1911guy said, they assist the National Guard and GA State Patrol when needed. Usually logistical and admin stuff.

Every one I ever met that was involved (including Clark Howard) said it was very rewarding service.

I haven't been directly involved but I do know some guys that have been in the GSDF about 5 years ago. I'm not sure if anything has changed but last I was told; You pay for everything yourself (uniforms, gear ect...) and anything not on the approved list you must get approved prior to using/wearing.

They spend most of their time directing traffic or similar duties for government events, assist with missing person searches, disaster response and similar activities. No weapons or tactical training of any kind. You do get some good first responder training. Most of the upper ranks consist of prior military officers or wealthy guys but it tends to be a more relaxed atmosphere unless you're assigned to a company with a CO that's "that guy".

Not everyone is a vet so you do get civilians with zero clue on a lot of basic stuff. I think everyone gets credentials that will get you on base but I'm not sure if that's still something they do. Most of the guys I knew that got involved got fed up with the politics (who you know) and the lack of organization.

It's State wide so you might be asked to go anywhere that's needed and it might be at your own expense unless something has changed.
Sounds like it's for guys who just weren't that into being Shriners or masons.

Back
Top Bottom