• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Garand Barrel Markings - Need Help!

I have one that doesn’t have those stamps. It does have a “p” on hand grip and serial number on stock. What is the markings mean? Or not having them?

Yours may have had them at one time and been sanded down. Not sure about the serial number on the stock. Please see the attached link. It's a pretty interesting reference:

http://www.trfindley.com/pgsnstmpsm1.html

Very nice rifle , great score. Definitely rebarreled and yes passed through Britain

Regarding op rod, why would you replace before shooting? Maybe I missed something when reading. WRA op rod?
Does it appear to be weak or not modified so you want to make sure that you preserve it?

Otherwise feed it Garand ammo and shoot it

Spectacular cartouches

Thanks Gman. The Op rod is an unmodified WRA op rod and I'd like to make sure I preserve it if somewhere down the road I go on another resto adventure. This Win 13 resto has been a good bit of fun. At this point I just want a shooter.

I would not shoot it. WHy take the odd chance of cracking it.
Do you have a replacement OP rod (modified) ?

Good morning folks. I've disassembled this old girl a little more and found something electro pencilled in the barrel. I want yall to tell me what lettering you guys see here:

26907.jpeg

Winchester did make a run of replacement barrels in the 60s that are marked as yours. The originals only had the WP proof.

Sometime in its life it was sent through England and picked up the British proof marks, but these are not related to the Lend Lease proof marks.

I think I remember hearing of an importer in Athens, GA that imported some Garands. I believe that is what the electro pencil marks are from.

Winchester did make a run of replacement barrels in the 60s that are marked as yours. The originals only had the WP proof.

Sometime in its life it was sent through England and picked up the British proof marks, but these are not related to the Lend Lease proof marks.

I think I remember hearing of an importer in Athens, GA that imported some Garands. I believe that is what the electro pencil marks are from.
Looks like “SEA ATHENS GREECE”?? Maybe Athens Ga?? That’d be wild

I was wondering if this rifle was someone associated with the Naval Supply Corp School in Athens at one time. "SEA" from what I can tell may refer to "Senior Enlisted Academy". This rifle ended up in Virginia Beach and was bought 20 years ago by the guy I bought it from. He has no prior history with it.

Back
Top Bottom