• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Gas fireplace help needed

Just sayin.....

The National Association of Certified Home Inspectors warns that these fireplaces necessarily vent unburned combustion products — including carbon monoxide — directly into the living space.

At this writing, unvented gas stoves, gas logs and fireplaces have been outlawed altogether in Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. In the US, it is illegal to install vent-frees anywhere in the States of California and Montana. Minnesota has a state-wide ban prohibiting installation of vent-frees in any home built after 1980. County-wide bans exist in several states, including Arizona, Colorado, Washington, Kansas, Wyoming, Ohio, Michigan, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nevada, New Mexico, Alaska, Minnesota, Texas and New Hampshire. Austin, Texas and New York City have outlawed vent-frees on a city-wide basis. Most areas that don’t ban vent-frees altogether prohibit their use as the sole source of heat in any dwelling.

Converted my wood burning fireplace to vent less gas logs about 4 years ago, all the heat we use in a 3600 sf house, never a problem........right now gas logs turned down almost off, outside temp 38 inside temp 76 in my den 35 feet away from fireplace.

The National Association of Certified Home Inspectors warns that these fireplaces necessarily vent unburned combustion products — including carbon monoxide — directly into the living space. Although most vent-free manufacturers install an oxygen-detection sensor designed to automatically shut the fireplace down if oxygen levels in the home become too low, your family's health and safety are riding on that sensor working. NACHI recommends having the unit inspected before use.

Yes they produce carbon monoxide but not as much as described. Have a detector. By code you should have 1 on each floor.

I forget the code for BTU'S btu's and where they can go but remember that it was a cubic ft. to decide on the BTU maximum. In Georgia not allowed in master bedrooms, when they first came out they had to have less than a 15,000 btu burner.

And the need 20% more oxygen than we do to operate so they will shut down before dangerous levels are achieved. If put in the living room that is open to other parts of the house and the house is not super insulated, should be good to go.

My biggest problem with them is they burn whatever the smell of the oxygen going into it. Want to dry your stinky shoes, well. Frying salmon patties....

Porter Rockwell Porter Rockwell , there is a fireplace store on Canton Rd. In Marietta that does gas logs, etc.., i have had to get some accessories from them before because we still burn logs in ours....but they sell a large amount of gas logs and do installs. They are very nice and helpful with questions and answers. Cant think of name but they are in yellow page ads ...(..i think it may be called The Fireplace Store) .

Anyone with any kind of flame run appliance in their home (includes water heaters, furnaces, gas or wood stoves or fireplaces) should have carbon monoxide detectors installed and functioning at all times.

Deaths occur every year from CO, and it cuts across all socio-economic groups.

And fire extinguishers available throughout as well.

Porter Rockwell Porter Rockwell , there is a fireplace store on Canton Rd. In Marietta that does gas logs, etc.., i have had to get some accessories from them before because we still burn logs in ours....but they sell a large amount of gas logs and do installs. They are very nice and helpful with questions and answers. Cant think of name but they are in yellow page ads ...(..i think it may be called The Fireplace Store) .

Thanks...I'll check that out

SEI is the company, call Rick- 470-277-1492.

He came out and looked over my spaces, he will be putting in a ventless in my Greatroom and vented in my bedroom.

Also adding some more insulation to my attic.

Back
Top Bottom