• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Propane vs Natural Gas

jcountry

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
13   0
Reaction score
Looking at building a new home.

Both propane and natural gas are available.
Would like to use for heat and some fire logs

House will be located about 200 feet back from right of way.

Anyone made the choice between propane and natural gas lately?

If natural gas is piped into the house with an unlimited source I say do that! IF not, I’d go with propane and a large tank like myself…

Whichever you go with MAKE SURE to get the back deck and front of the house piped in too.

I’ve got several patio heaters, propane grill, firebox, gas logs, hot water tank, kitchen oven, and two emergency wall furnaces all tied into a 500 gal tank. It’s pretty awesome

Don’t overlook the emergency wall furnace heaters… they CRANK OUT SOME HEAT w/o electricity and pretty cheap to install yourself.

Natural gas is way cheaper. The gas company ran the line 700’ feet across my pasture to get to the house at no cost. Even if I had to pay for it it’s still cheaper than propane. We had propane for about 22 years. Would have got it sooner but the gas main wasn’t available.

Natural gas is way cheaper. The gas company ran the line 700’ feet across my pasture to get to the house at no cost. Even if I had to pay for it it’s still cheaper than propane. We had propane for about 22 years. Would have got it sooner but the gas main wasn’t available.
I’m definitely leaning NG.

Delivery surcharges of propane have gotten plain silly.

Natural gas! I used to bitch about the ng junk fees. At my new house ng is not available. I inherited a 250 gallon tank when I bought it and upgraded to a 1000 gallon tank when we got a whole house generator.

Aside from the purchase price of the new tank and the cost of pouring the slab for the bigger tank. The bill for filling up that tank is 1600+ depending on when you buy during the year as the price fluctuates.

Propane tanks hold 80% of capacity so 1000 gallons = 800, and if completely full, and will run the whole house generator for one week (24/7).

It’s a pita if you run the tank empty! A natural gas hookup is a no brainer.

I have natural gas. But just now I also got a 325 gallons propane tank, for the generator ONLY. It is a back up for when SHTF and government shut down power, and maybe shut down gas lines as well. So the tank will keep us with electricity for at least a couple of weeks or so, running the generator not 24/7 but for some periods or hours. We will see when it happens. I also have TWO 100 pound tank or bottles, those will be ONLY for the stove when SHTF.

Back
Top Bottom