• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gas Grill suggestions, reviews

Fellow ODT'rs, I am in the market for a new propane grill. With my family size and the fat that i cook an entire meal on the grill. I need at least 500+ inches of cooking space. My current grill is 612" and 5 burners. But even though keep it covered with a water proof cover most of my grills seam to rust out after about 4-5 years. It stays on my deck and i have no access to take it down, so it has to remain there. I already have a smoker and a small charcoal grill. I just don't always have the time or room to cook on them for all meals. I have been looking at the Weber Genesis S-310 and S-410. Any other ideas?

I might know where there's a good used weber gas grill that could be bought for $150. I believe it was between 700 and 900 new. I can get the model if you're actually interested..

Who don’t love a good reversed seared steak?
That's fine too. I didn't want to write a book on here. Any technique that separates the heating of the inside and outside can work great. Two zone over charcoal too. But just throw it on a grill? Nah.

I've got a Weber Genesis Silver-- 12 years now and I have replaced the "flavor bars" and the grates with Gill Grates.

But I won't ever buy another propane grill unless it has some sort of sear burner. You just cannot get enough heat to properly cook a steak otherwise. I put the grill grates directly on the flavor bars, to try to get the heat up and it's marginal at best. The gas grill makers admit this-- they need air flow for safety, and this prevents them from getting really hot. So get one with the sear feature.

BTW-- the right way to cook steaks, for anyone interested, is to heat them in the oven gently up to 100 degrees internal, then sear the outside on a HOT grill... By the time you have a nice Maillard outside, you'll have hit 135 internal, and you're done when you reach that measured 135. If you eat them well-done, well, save the trouble and just throw them on the grill. And don't invite me over. : )

Best info site for all things bar-b-que? https://amazingribs.com/ Actual science, not old wives' tales. Lots of good info on grills and smokers.

i second this technique. I heard about on cooks country on pbs.... Sounded crazy but it is the absolute best way for steak. They were explaining that the low slow heat kind of acts like dry aging by breaking down the steak before the sear.

i second this technique. I heard about on cooks country on pbs.... Sounded crazy but it is the absolute best way for steak. They were explaining that the low slow heat kind of acts like dry aging by breaking down the steak before the sear.

Agreed! Once you find a way to properly reverse sear a steak you will never cook it any other way.

just picked up a Weber Genesis II e 610 black 6 burner at lowes was reg.$1299.00 they had it on sale for $324.00 plus tax.check your local stores the price still says 1299 but when i got them to scan it it was 324.00.got it at the acworth store they only had 2 and i got both of them.well the son got 1.GREAT DEAL

Back
Top Bottom