• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gas operated weapons and accuracy.

BigMike

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
232   0
Reaction score
Sitting around contemplating the this and that of long range shooting and the question of gas pressure in a gas operates weapon potentially causing accuracy issues. I have an AR I built in 223 wylde that shoots pretty well bit its overgassed because I run it suppressed. If I were to install an adjustable gas block and tune it down closer to a "normal" level, would it change the accuracy?

the amount of gas going back into the action shouldn't affect the accuracy or pressure behind the bullet as it is leaving the gun. Have you tried a heavier buffer and spring? Could help with the over gassing before you messing around with an adj. gas block.

the amount of gas going back into the action shouldn't affect the accuracy or pressure behind the bullet as it is leaving the gun. Have you tried a heavier buffer and spring? Could help with the over gassing before you messing around with an adj. gas block.
I don't care that it's overgassed as long as it's not effecting the accuracy.

I have a JP barrel gas gun that will handily outshoot it’s bolt equivalent.
I'm building me a 6.5 CM gas gun with an adjustable gas block and I'm trying to figure how deep in the weeds I need to get with the gas tuning. That is whenever proof research produces the barrel.

Your gas isn't your problem. You can assist on recoil reduction with an adjustable gas block or heavier spring and/or buffer, but they won't intrinsically make the gun any more accurate. You can't skimp on fundamentals with a gasser. The lock time is much greater on a gasser than on a bolt gun. That's where most people struggle with the accuracy between the two platforms. Other inherent issues are how the round is shoved into the feed ramp before chambering, the pressure of the rounds in the mag on the bolt carrier which also changes as you go from full mag to empty, etc.

In short, it will reduce recoil, which may increase the perceived accuracy with your ability to manage the recoil better, but you won't be intrinsically increasing the accuracy or precision of the rifle.

Generally speaking, the bullet does not care about "overgassed." The rifle does. The shooter. The bullet does not care. The bullet is perfectly happy about having the full pressure pushing it out of your barrel. Bolt gun = full pressure. You are getting less pressure on the bullet by running a gas gun as the gas is needed and bled out of the bore to operate the bolt carrier. So long as the pressure is consistent shot to shot, the bullet does not care.

I'm building me a 6.5 CM gas gun with an adjustable gas block and I'm trying to figure how deep in the weeds I need to get with the gas tuning. That is whenever proof research produces the barrel.
dialing it in can be life changing. I am able to send literally doubles at 200+ yards and they hit within an inch or so. That's gas, comp, barrel, gas block, gas system, etc. But to be able to watch the bullet streak in, while it doesn't aid mechanical accuracy, certainly helps the meat popsicle sending the rounds feel better about them.

Back
Top Bottom