• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

General case prep questions for 9mm

wnchstrtnfldvlle

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
70   0
Reaction score
So while I'm waiting to find some powder locally, I've decided to start prepping the casings that I got in the mail the other day. So I have a few questions for some of the more experienced.

1. Would it be a good idea to use the Lee Universal De-capping die first, then run them through the tumbler? My reasoning is that it's only a 13 dollar die, but it could save my more expensive die sets.

2. Does this order of steps sound about right?
-Deprime
-tumble
-hand prime
-sizing die (without de-primer rod)
-expander die
-powder
-seating die

3. Do pistol casings even need trimmed?

I know I could just google, but I enjoy feedback and discussion from actual people. lol.

For me,
Tumble
Decap - deprime
Size
Expand
Prime
Powder
Seat & Taper
SHOOT EM!!!!!

I do not trim my straight wall cases.

So I'm gathering that its not really a big deal to size and decap un-tumbled brass.

Another one for ya,

Between the powder and bullet, whose load data would be more important to follow. For example, I have Berger 210 grain match bullets, and IMR 4227 for 300 blk rounds. I'm tracking I should just follow the data for the powder + bullet weight. Sound right? Also taking into account the case length and OAL.

So I'm gathering that its not really a big deal to size and decap un-tumbled brass.

Another one for ya,

Between the powder and bullet, whose load data would be more important to follow. For example, I have Berger 210 grain match bullets, and IMR 4227 for 300 blk rounds. I'm tracking I should just follow the data for the powder + bullet weight. Sound right? Also taking into account the case length and OAL.
I'd stick with load data from a trusted manual, like Lyman or Hornady.

I am pretty dumb so I read everything I could find years ago to get started. I don't think it matters when you clean (tumble) I was just taught to tumble first so I could run fairly clean brass through my dies. I also seperate by head stamp so this works well for me.

Today - my manuals tell me what powder & load for the bullet chosen. I still do the task exactly the same EVERY time. 1 bullet - 1 powder - 1 load at a time. Like I told you before - I no smart - so I work hard and work consistent.

Good Luck - it is a lifetime of learning in reloading!!!

I am pretty dumb so I read everything I could find years ago to get started. I don't think it matters when you clean (tumble) I was just taught to tumble first so I could run fairly clean brass through my dies. I also seperate by head stamp so this works well for me.

Today - my manuals tell me what powder & load for the bullet chosen. I still do the task exactly the same EVERY time. 1 bullet - 1 powder - 1 load at a time. Like I told you before - I no smart - so I work hard and work consistent.

Good Luck - it is a lifetime of learning in reloading!!!

I hear ya, only a few days in and the head already hurts from the sheer amount of info. Lol

Yeah Brother - do that. You will also find some killer stuff on line. If you like a lap top or computer - those same manuals are available as software. I have both but honestly always use the books today. Go get em!!!

Back
Top Bottom