• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

General case prep questions for 9mm

I saw something about this the other day. Can you explain the unsupported chamber deal? I have a gen 4 glock 19 that I will be using all of this ammo for.

i39.tinypic.com_157kflz.jpg

You shouldn't have any issues with your generation stock guns. However if you pick up an aftermarket match grade barrel the chambers are a bit tighter and could give you issues. 9mm has a slight taper and even full length resizing dies stop at a point and fail to truly full length re-size. Ammo fired in a loosey goosey (Glock) chamber, resized, may still be a bit wide at the base.

When firing reloads in these tighter chambers you may experience tolerance issues that don't occur in factory stock barrels but crop up with tighter chamber tolerances.

Last edited:
From my posting above, it should come as no surprise that I have (and continue to) encounter "bulged" cases as I check them all.
This includes 9 mm, .40 S&W and 5.56 (mostly MG) rounds. The percentage is low (1-3% per thousand), but the impact is not pleasant.
Having a FTF and an accompanying jam in real life isn't what I enjoy at all!

I saw something about this the other day. Can you explain the unsupported chamber deal? I have a gen 4 glock 19 that I will be using all of this ammo for.

- - - Updated - - -

If you setup your sizing die correctly, you really shouldn't have issues. Run your rounds through a chamber check gauge (one of these) and you'll be fine.

I've loaded 10s of thousands of rounds for Glocks at this point, and following the above works every time.

The only real issue is going from firing out of a Glock to a really tight match chamber; but again, if you setup your dies correctly it really isn't as big of an issue as some people make it out to be.

I have reloaded 40 S&W for years for a Glock. Never encountered any issues with chambering in a stock barrel, never had a 6 o'clock bulge. My loads always start at 95% of the lowest maximum charge (if bullet weight/powder combo is mentioned in more than one manual). I use Lyman, Speer, Nosler and Hornady hard copies; AA, Hodgdon online manuals. Make sure to use the latest manuals. I have 2 Nosler manuals, and recommendations changed from 4th to 6th edition.
I load on Dillon, so it is clean in a Dillon vib tumbler with walnuts and Dillon case polish/size+deprime (RCBS carbide dies)/prime on the backstroke, charge, seat the bullet and taper crimp.

A note: I just ran a test with WCF 38 cartridges having the flash holes obstructed by corn cob media and without. My standard deviation in MV in FPS was only 11 FPS without obstruction and 10 FPS with the flash hole obstructed. I'm not going to waste another minute of my life picking media from flash holes. I'd rather talk to telemarketers.

I load with a 550b and tumble to keep my dies as clean as possible. when I do de prime and retumble in the case of heavy carbon in the primer pocket I clean the primer pocket and re tumble. When you size and deprime on the 550b when their is no primer in the pocket the punch on the 550b will push out any walnut/corncob media that is there when you start reloading. If it will push out a primer any media is not a problem. I have never had a problem with this. rifle or pistol rounds. just my .02 cents

Back
Top Bottom