Generator Thread ....When the power goes out...

Have a transfer switch installed and run a black max with a 13hp Honda engine @ 7000 watts 8750 starting watts and if will run my entire house, granted not at the same time aka ac, well pump , and water heater at the same time but for heat have to adjust water heater off , to run the stove I have to shut the well pump off and the ac, but all lights fridges , freezers and such
0FACD347-3C4D-410F-BBCA-C6D92062BA7D.jpeg

for those looking for the basics, I bought a Harbor Freight Predator 2k last year. Quite a few friends run the Predator Inverter generators at the track every weekend and have good luck with them. Best bet is to run it for a few hours then change the oil to a very good quality synthetic, and make sure you either drain the gas and run it dry before you store it, or only put in ethanol free gas with an extra stabilizer agent added and even then drain it or run it dry at least once a year.

the inverter generators usually only go up to 4k watts or so, but they have the clean power output you need for electronics. I can connect two of the 2k watt predators for 4k, plus they are easy to move around. After my power was restored (only a few hours recently) I took it to my mom's house and ran her fridge and lights/chargers and then to my mother in laws house. Now they both want them (for $450 its cheap insurance and beats replacing the stuff in your fridge/freezer).

The little 2k will easily run my fridge/freezer, a few lights, and charge my electronics. Could probably run a TV but I don't really need that if the power is out. No need to flex on the neighbors. :)

I've got friends that have worked in the generator industry. The bigger the unit the more maintenance it needs. If they are maintained properly they will last many years (20-30). But most people don't follow the maintenance and then get mad when they don't work. Anything with an engine/motor that is neglected and sits for long periods will eventually fail, usually right when you need it (it actually failed a while ago, you just didn't notice it till you needed it). Generac is usually a very good brand, and they make many of the other "brands" generators out there...

I enjoyed the Honda generator thread from not even two weeks ago, Thought we could have a Generator Thread to talk about different types of portable and non-portable generators that provide power to you home, trailer, cabin, campsite, et al. What types of Back up power do you like to run? If you have solar - Feel free to chime in.

I have on my 2020 CHRISTmas list :

Generac GP2200I portable generator.

shopping

I will be contacting you soon, I showed my wife your Generator and she liked it, but she's on the fence on size. Thanks

I have a Predator 3500, and I love it. I bought it from a guy on here for less than retail, with 8 hours on it. At the time, I wasn't sure I would use it much, but the last storm it was a real comfort.

I ran 2 fridges, lights, coffee maker and power tools on it and had plenty of reserve power. Its not wired into the house, I just ran extension chords, and it worked fine.

Back
Top Bottom