• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Generator Thread ....When the power goes out...

I have a Predator 3500, and I love it. I bought it from a guy on here for less than retail, with 8 hours on it. At the time, I wasn't sure I would use it much, but the last storm it was a real comfort.

I ran 2 fridges, lights, coffee maker and power tools on it and had plenty of reserve power. Its not wired into the house, I just ran extension chords, and it worked fine.
This is what I will end up doing. I am looking at a solar generator for upstairs. No noise, no gas. Charge it up during the day and use at night.

( i thought of this thread today early this morning, The power went out ...but immediately came back on. ) I am going to be ready for the inevitable ice storm that will knock out the power or hurricane.

So a 2000w inverter generator will keep a fridge going? What about start up watt usage? How many hours on the predator? SpeedyR SpeedyR I am looking at a Generac 2200 or 3000

my understanding is that it will run most energy star refrigerators. Ours is pretty big (fridge/freezer) and no issues running it. I"m sure I could dig out the model and see what the actual specs are but i've run it on three different refrigerators and no issues with any of them. Fridge, lights, and charging cords for the most part.

if I were to guess I'd say I have 40-50 hours on mine so far? runs like a champ. friends that have the 2k and 3.5k have hundreds of hours on them and no issues. If it works after break in (first 5-10 hours) you shouldn't have any issues.

I would love to do solar, but I’m surrounded by tall trees, mostly evergreens. Any South facing locations get only a few hours direct sun a day. And with the lower sun angle in the winter, even less.

My small one, a 3,000 Craftsman, inverter, is quieter than a Honda 2000, but its for the RV when needed, the 5,000 Coleman Power mate , not an inverted type is about like an idling lawnmower.

Here is a nice ref chart for appliances and running watts/amps
upload_2020-11-18_8-1-38.png

Back
Top Bottom