Getting Coyotes

Shutter Monkey

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
3   0
Reaction score
Hey Hivemind, my deer season wasn't a good one, I'm sure weather was a huge part of that but my area has also become the range of at least 2 coyotes (I've seen them).

Since I'm tired of stepping in coyote poo on the way to my stand they must go. I understand that February is a good time to hunt them since they're breeding, but does anyone have any suggestions or hints for success? What call works best? what time of day? Do I have to be in my stand before dawn? etc.

Also this will be close range shooting since my stand is in piedmont forest so my longest shot is 30-50 yds.

Thanks in advance.

Early and late they are most active but can be called anytime of day. They WILL circle down wind, 100% guaranteed. Set up accordingly. Rabbit in distress works year round (as can other prey distress calls) and this time of year female coyote invite and challenge can produce due to breeding season.
Good luck...

Hunt at night if you can, either with a red light or NV depending on distance. I prefer an electronic call, and preferably high ground, so you can get away from it and make it more difficult for them to circle around. Call for 30 minutes, and if you get no response, then move on to another spot.

Back
Top Bottom