• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting 101 Getting Started?

I know I am probably in the minority but . . .

Take your son to a hunting lodge type place and pay the money for a multi-day hunt. I am sure some of them can accommodate a shared blind. They’ll basically drop you off and come back to get you later.

I agree. It's not easy to start from scratch and try to take a kid with you. Pay to make it right and learn from there.

Gun check, Ammo check, drinks and food check, Go to woods check, Find a nice spot and sit down check, WAIT................. and don't shoot at anything that moves. It might be another hunter.
About the best advice so far. Don’t overthink it or complicate it. It’ll turn your son off of it. Hunter safety, zero weapon and be comfy with it, find a patch of WMA or NF and trompt around. Find bedding, edge, water, food source. Look for sign in mid to late October and hunt over it.

No hunting tradition in my family. Took the hunters ed. class, read some books, went to the closest WMA and stalked squirrels with a 22. Eventually moved on to deer.

The most important thing you can do is get out into the woods or whatever terrain you plan to hunt, practice sitting or moving quietly, listening, watching. You don't need a gun for that. A pair of binocs will do.

You'll be amazed to learn the difference between a bird scratching dirt, a squirrel chirping or hopping through leaves, and the noises a deer (barely) makes. It takes hours of patience and practice, but you'll start to develop an internal catalog of sounds that correspond to animals doing different things. Also visible signs: Worn paths. Droppings. Scrapes. Bed down areas.

It's also a good way to figure out what you want to wear and carry when you hunt. When I first started, I was all "geared up." Over time, I realized I didn't feel like hauling all that **** around with me. Nowadays, a knife, comfortable shoes, appropriate outerwear for warmth and visibility. A flashlight, if starting early or ending late. The less the better, as far as I'm concerned.

The learning journey is fun. Don't rush it.

Back
Top Bottom