• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting 101 Getting Started?

iAm22lr

Wolf Icon Supporter
Hunter
0   0
Reaction score
Looking for a hunting 101 experience. My son – 12 – wants to go deer hunting. We are both avid shooters and love the outdoors. I have never gone hunting so I am looking for a basic hunting 101 class/tour/experience that the two of us can go on. Anyone have a recommendation for a place we can go that will take a total noob and handhold them every step of the way? Assuming we need a guide, rental equipment, etc. Willing to travel but something in the Southeast would be preferred, within driving distance of North Georgia. Appreciate all suggestions/recommendations!

Gun check, Ammo check, drinks and food check, Go to woods check, Find a nice spot and sit down check, WAIT................. and don't shoot at anything that moves. It might be another hunter.

Assuming that you were born after about 1960 as others have said you are required to first take the Hunters Safety course to be able to buy your license. I m sure you can find a lot of 101 basic information from computer. I have not ever checked to see if there are classes for this. Good luck with your search.

Well after you buy 1,900 dollars worth of hunting equipment and your hunting licenses there is just a few steps left. Beware! Preparing for hunting can be exiting and addictive and can make you spend way to much money anticipating the hunt.

1. Research game you intend on hunting.
( I suggest varmints at first to get the jitters out)
The first time I shot at a squirrel I emptied a Marlin model 60 on him because I was so exited. Didn't hit a damn thing. He was at the base of the tree running around avoiding the sh*t storm of lead I was reigning down on him. 🤣

2. Make sure you have the proper amount of blaze orange material on for safety reasons. Mainly so other hunter can identify you easier.

3.Never and I mean never shoot at anything you can't identify. More people get shot every year because some idiot shoots at a shaking bush.

4. If deer hunting scout out your game trails a few months before season and identify food plots and trails used and mark them so you can find your place you intend on sitting up at.. ( use some kind of scent block so the deer have a harder time figuring out you were there.

5.Make sure you are not shooting in each other's direction. This can be overlooked when a big buck steps out of the thick brush.

6. Just remember it's about being out in the woods with your son and be patient with him. He is more than likely want to talk and be fidgety.

7. Nothing is going to prepare you for that first deer that steps out into range. Buck fever is real. Meditate on that a lot..

8. Just have a good time and remember that time in the woods cannot be replaced and that's the most important thing. And if you do happen to bag a deer well that's just icing on the cake.

9. A hunter safety course will hit on more points but I never went through one. They will mainly drill you in proper gun safety etiquette and hit on points like number three and number five that I listed. If you use good common sense chances are you will be ok but it certainly can't hurt.

7. Never shoot up in the air or up a hill where the bullet can travel for extremely long distances.

8. Some states will require you to take a hunters safety course if you had never had a license in that state or another state. So you might read up on that. Virginia is one of those states..

9. Try to pick out an isolated place just for safety. Hunting is can be a dangerous activity if you are in a area where there are a great number of hunters. Itchy trigger fools can be a immediate threat.

This is just some recommendations for you to look over. I listed them so you would have something to refer to besides 80 people saying " Take a hunters safety course. ". Good luck and remember the time out in the woods with your son is what itys all about. I use to go out with my dad and all I had was a Red Ryder BB gun. My favorite part was breaking out the sardines in mustard and crackers for a snack. Those are the memories I cherish the most. Good times indeed!

I know I am probably in the minority but . . .

Take your son to a hunting lodge type place and pay the money for a multi-day hunt. I am sure some of them can accommodate a shared blind. They’ll basically drop you off and come back to get you later.

Back
Top Bottom