• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Getting Into CB Radio

DreadPirate

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
3   0
Reaction score
I remember as a kid my grandfather being on his CB whenever we took a long trip. A couple of days ago, a buddy calls me up and we get to talking about how a CB might make a good form of short-range communication with family and friends.

Anyone out there still use a CB regularly?

Interested as well. I was big into CB in the 70's but the skip waves got so bad I could talk across the US but not across town.

There's been one in my trucks since I can remember, I met my girlfriend (now wife) on the CB radio over 20 years ago.
Not many people still use them today, you'll find some still do but not as much these days, truckers still do however.
I find it a very valuable tool when on roadtrips, you'll know about a speed trap well before you see one, way better than a radar detector.
My Galaxy has been peaked and tuned, 102" whip, and a linear amp.
Without the amp I can talk about 15 miles sometimes more on a good day, with the amp I can pick up several states away.
However a linear will fry a radio in a heartbeat... Also it's kinda cool to key it up and hear yourself coming through the TV at home.
It's kinda like guns or any other hobby, once you get into it expect to keep upgrading and spending money

Last edited:
That is precisely what my wife is afraid of.

The key is to start with quality components from the start, if you just go to the local truck stop and grab one off the shelf you will be disappointed and looking to replace it.
Check these guy's out: Clay's radio shop
They do a really good job of peaking and tuning which I'd highly recommend for any radio.
Don't skimp on the antenna either, on a CB everything has to work together.
I'd recommend a Firestik, K40, but to me the 102" whip is the best.

Last edited:
Hey, back in the day I pretty much stayed on sideband. Do folks still use the sideband or do most stay on regular channels?

Last edited:
A good "set it and forget it" 1/4-wave ground-plane (base) antenna, like a Star Duster,
Starduster is what I ran too up in the Tennessee woods. Siltronix 1011C base unit. This is giving me the itch again. Guess I need to research this some and see about setting up another unit. Neighbors going to love me.

Back
Top Bottom