• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Getting Into CB Radio

Oh yeah, I really like the 959B, also. I've heard all kinds of negativity about Galaxy radios, but I love mine.

Have you had any work done on the Galaxy? If so what and by who. I really like that radio as well but the negative reviews and such have me holding off on getting one. The noise from the face plate back lights in particular.

Have you had any work done on the Galaxy? If so what and by who. I really like that radio as well but the negative reviews and such have me holding off on getting one. The noise from the face plate back lights in particular.

My original 959 (pic with the green lights) came from Effingham Radio on Ebay. It was only tuned and aligned, and it does pretty well. The 959B came from Brian Smith of Truck's CB Sales. I had him"Truckerize" it, which is his full tune and alignment, plus open the clarifier for better SSB, and add echo (my personal preference is to run a touch of reverb). I've had no problems with either, and have talked all over North America with a 1x4 amp, when conditions were right.

Attachments

• IMG_20150821_082935.jpg
    IMG_20150821_082935.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 13
I actually used to listen to locals more than talk. There was some hilarious arguments on there. I remember one time there was a crowd riding around looking for some guy because he called some guy's wife a bitch on the CB :grey::pound:

I don't talk a lot and at this point the only arguments I have heard were from truckers on 75 in the afternoons going on and on about the traffic and such.
I have been listening on Side Band but have yet to try and et out to any one. I still have to figure out the cycles that need to happen for it to be a good skip day. People talk over each other so much its just a lot of noise.

Matt2979, thanks for the prospective on the 959B. I really like the radio and it seems Galaxy is the only one making anything like that. The Uniden seems to be a good radio I just don't like the controls. I will keep looking at them and maybe soon will pull the trigger on one. Right now I want to get a base antenna and get it up. That will be a lot of hard work for one person. I may go with the I-MAX 2000 without the radials and see where that gets me.

To bad Trucks CB don't have web site or I can't find one.

His only site is on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/861774723847070/

And I'm not sure where you are in NW GA (FATKAT), but when you put up a base station, we'll probably be able to talk to one another. I'm in Kennesaw, just a couple miles west of I-75 and I can easily talk to locals as far away as Douglasville to south and east of Downtown Atlanta, up to Cartersville and Euharlee, and up to Alpharetta. Granted, most of us are pushing a few watts (less than 1KW, for the most part), but having that antenna up as high as possible is the main thing. I'm currently running an old version of the Antron 99 and have used it to talk about half the world when skip is rolling. I should have it replaced with a little bit nicer Sirio Tornado by this weekend ... depending on how much time I spend in the woods! lol

His only site is on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/861774723847070/

And I'm not sure where you are in NW GA (FATKAT), but when you put up a base station, we'll probably be able to talk to one another. I'm in Kennesaw, just a couple miles west of I-75 and I can easily talk to locals as far away as Douglasville to south and east of Downtown Atlanta, up to Cartersville and Euharlee, and up to Alpharetta. Granted, most of us are pushing a few watts (less than 1KW, for the most part), but having that antenna up as high as possible is the main thing. I'm currently running an old version of the Antron 99 and have used it to talk about half the world when skip is rolling. I should have it replaced with a little bit nicer Sirio Tornado by this weekend ... depending on how much time I spend in the woods! lol

The Sirio Tornado is what I was thinking of getting. I west of Cartersville near Euharlee. I don't know how high I will be able to get it at first. I got an old post/mast with a TV antenna on it next to the house and thought I could put there to start. I will need to figure out how to et it higher at some point.

Back
Top Bottom