• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Getting Into CB Radio

If you're that low on SWR, no sense in trying to adjust any more.

Agreed. You're really not gonna get much better than that.

Heck, as long as I'm below 2:1 I call it good and I've never seen any negative effects.

I was told that I should be able to get a flat 1.1 through all 40 channels by just nibbling at the antenna by about 1/8 inch at a time. I got a new SWR meter coming and will check readings with it and compare the two. A couple of nibbles shouldn't hurt anything.

I was told that I should be able to get a flat 1.1 through all 40 channels by just nibbling at the antenna by about 1/8 inch at a time. I got a new SWR meter coming and will check readings with it and compare the two. A couple of nibbles shouldn't hurt anything.
If you're at 1.2/1 on one end of the band and 1/1 on the other, you aren't likely to get any better.

Galaxy or Stryker Radio?.................. Go----------------------------
I like Galaxy radios.

I don't talk on SSB, so I got a DX-929. It just does the standard 40 CB channels. It's small and doesn't have any extras other than talkback and a backlit display, but I always get good reports on my sound from everyone I talk to on it.

If you're interested in SSB, take a look at the DX-959. I was looking at this model when I was trying to find a radio, but it doesn't have a backlit display and I wanted that feature more than SSB.

If you want to see a crazy looking CB, google "Connex big betty"
(I would post a pic of it here, but I don't want to get a hat)

Now isn't that just CUTE...... That's funny........ Let me "Tweak" this radio just a bit.........

I like the radios with Knobs and Switches better that Push Buttons and Menu's at least for mobile use. I am looking at the DX959b it has the backlit display. I keep seeing people say not to go with Galaxy but in reviews they seem to get good reports. Yes they say they "Drift" on SSB when cold but I am also not a big talker on AM or SSB. I was just looking for a good radio that has a few advanced options and as things progress I can take advantage of. The 980SSB I have now seems to be a fine radio but is a little cumbersome to use while mobile. The 9 series Galaxy radios do have the price point and may need some tweaking to get everything out of them.

I like the Stryker 955 as it seems to have a few more options and a couple features that I like. The price doubles for it though but it may be worth it.

I have been told to skip all of those and get an Optima, but it seems well advanced in options at this point for my little knowledge and may be better suited for down the road after I understand all of the things that it offers.

Just trying to learn for now and asking for others experience.

I had thought posting that would get a debate going. May it should have been Snooki or JWow............ GO :)

I enjoy talking on my CB radios. I keep in touch with some local users from home, stay on top of road conditions/bear reports from truckers while driving, an extra line of communication between my van and home (within 20-30 miles), and enjoy talking all over when skip is rolling. AM tends to need more power to get a lot of distance, but SSB gets me a lot farther with less power. Takes a little bit of learning how to tune your antenna for best SWR reading, as well as using good quality coax, connectors, and the antenna itself, but once you get those things down, you can get some great use out of your radio.

Attachments

• DSCN3745.JPG
    DSCN3745.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 20
That DX959b looks nice. It wasn't available when I was looking for a radio or I would have gotten it.

The lack of a backlit faceplate on the standard DX959 was the only reason I went with the DX929 instead.

Back
Top Bottom