• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ghost ring or bead sight?

Ghost ring or bead?

• Bead

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Ghost ring

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

DownSouthMach

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
77   0
Reaction score
I'm planning to pick up my 1st shotgun soon And can't decide between A GRS or bead sight.

What would you choose and why?

Mossberg 590A1

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I like ghost ring sights, but I'll admit that half my reason is they look cooler. But I do shoot more accurately with them and don't have problems with getting on target fast.

I actually shoot Ghost Rings Slower at close range 15-20 yds or less, the bead is a natural point or refference for aiming to me and I can make the gun dance and put lead on target. The GRS are great for slugs or distance 25 yds plus. From a cost perspective , it's at least 100 cheaper depending on the model. If you spend more than 500 , just get an M4/AR.

I agree on the ghost ring/close range opinion, any sight (regardless of size, design, shape, color, etc) is going to block some of your view, even a small bead sight. That is the nature of a sighting system; you use your eye to line up the rifle to the target, which requires some of your eye to be behind the sight, and part of your target to be obscured. Since a bead is smaller than a ghost ring, it gives you a better view of your target and better situational awareness, which is a plus.

Still, having said this, ghost rings offer a lot that a bead sight doesnt. Two points of reference, for one, something that is crucial to aiming effectively. With a bead sight you normally line up the bead with the center of the rib or the receiver, which is not going to be easy in the dark with a black shotgun receiver and a small bead (even if it is a tritium bead or something fancy). For this reason, even though it is a larger sight, slower to aim, and a bit more expensive, I would get a ghost ring over a bead as long as they offered a night sight version. If the ghost ting doesnt have tritium inserts it would probably be worse for HD in low light than a small bead sight, so i woudl get the bead.

Lots of opinion went into this post, just FYI :) I guess the best answer would be to try them both out in your house with the lights off and see which one points more naturally and is more accurate. Just make sure to stock up on drywall before hand haha.

Last edited:
I would use a flashlight mount so you can see what your shooting at and blind them. If you need to use a sight on a shotgun in closequaters, then you should have a slug in it, if not, it wont matter if you dont know how to make accurate shots with a shotgun. use a optic colored bead sight and attach a flashlight and call it a day

Back
Top Bottom