• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Glock Gen 5 Slide machining in West Georgia

hseII

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
82   0
Reaction score
I would like recommendations for a great local Gun Smith that does slide milling for Glock.

I think I’d like to add an RMR to my Gen 5 Glock.

Thank You ODT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

...no offense, but there's probably not a lot of response because this topic has been covered ad nauseum in many ODT threads.

99% of the people are going to respond with "GEORGIA FIRING LINE". Then I will respond with "CHPWS in Richmond Hill". Then someone else will say "Richmond Hill ain't in West Georgia". And I will respond with "Ever heard of UPS?".

That's how all of these threads are answered. :D < the Sarcasm font is a needed thing.>

The thing about slide machining for a Red Dot is that just about any half-assed machinist with a manual milling machine COULD do it. It'd be a couple of lateral cuts, then drill-and-tap the screw holes. Simple, but not optimal.

But, to do it right, one would really prefer to have radiused cuts that precisely follow the curves of the RDS itself. I'd also want these to be tight. Very little slop in these cuts significantly reduce the amount of stress loads on the screws themselves.

And, in a perfect world, I'd want those bosses (the little "studs" that come up out of the slide and engage in those holes in most RDS'es) integrated in the cut itself.

Most half-assed machinists CAN'T do those things, which is why good places to have this kind of work done aren't on every street corner. It practically requires a CNC machine.

The thing about slide machining for a Red Dot is that just about any half-assed machinist with a manual milling machine COULD do it. It'd be a couple of lateral cuts, then drill-and-tap the screw holes. Simple, but not optimal.

But, to do it right, one would really prefer to have radiused cuts that precisely follow the curves of the RDS itself. I'd also want these to be tight. Very little slop in these cuts significantly reduce the amount of stress loads on the screws themselves.

And, in a perfect world, I'd want those bosses (the little "studs" that come up out of the slide and engage in those holes in most RDS'es) integrated in the cut itself.

Most half-assed machinists CAN'T do those things, which is why good places to have this kind of work done aren't on every street corner. It practically requires a CNC machine.

Agreed.

Which is why I started the thread requesting recommendations for a business doing this in West Georgia.

Evidently there isn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom