• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Glock Mag Extension Issues

kb34

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
37   0
Reaction score
So I bought a Competition Ready solutions Glock +5/+6 Mag extension from LWD on sale and been having some issues.

When I get +3 in, it is really hard to push down for another round. And when I finally do get another round in for +4, the follower gets stuck at the bottom of the mag and I have to smack it to get it to release. The extension came with a new spring, which I put in with it. And I do not see any burrs or anything catching the follower. Any one know what the issue might be?

This mag worked great until I put it on, so I don't know what's up with it. I'm fine with getting an additional 3 rounds but would like to be able to get all 6 additional rounds or at least 5 additional. This is my first time using a + size mag extension so I don't know if I need to just let the mag sit to compress the spring a little or what, I left it over night with 20 rounds in and will try again after work to see.

Thanks.

Never heard of those. Quick look at them is a bit concerning with a screw on the back of the tube.

How tight is the screw in the back? Too much tension could collapse the mag tube a bit and cause the binding.

Also, any extension that allows the follower to leave the tube usually requires a good amount of chamfer on the bottom of the mag tube to ease the transition back into the mag.

Screw isn’t too tight. Just there to hold the baseplate on. I tried sanding around the bottom of the mag and top of the extension in order to get rid of any sharp edges. Works great up until 21 rounds are loaded. After that the follower gets jammed.

They were discontinued on LWD site. Might be a good reason. Seemed like a good deal at the time.

They were discontinued on LWD site. Might be a good reason. Seemed like a good deal at the time.

You might be on to something here.

I run quite a few different type of extensions and have never heard of these guys. Not a great sign!

3 rounds is about the height of a Glock follower double-stacked.. so it's definitely getting hung up on an edge - both ways it sounds.

Maybe try tracking down the manufacturer.. see what they say... my guess is they won't be much help.

I'd chalk this one up to a learning experience and take a file to it hardcore - see if you can make it run. What've you got to lose at this point?

86E0897C-22BA-4893-89CD-59DC602205E1.jpeg

You might be on to something here.

I run quite a few different type of extensions and have never heard of these guys. Not a great sign!

3 rounds is about the height of a Glock follower double-stacked.. so it's definitely getting hung up on an edge - both ways it sounds.

Maybe try tracking down the manufacturer.. see what they say... my guess is they won't be much help.

I'd chalk this one up to a learning experience and take a file to it hardcore - see if you can make it run. What've you got to lose at this point?

View attachment 1617271

Yeah. I took a file to it to try to smooth stuff out and sprayed it with some oil. Still the same thing. Probably gonna just run it as a +3 and chalk it up as a learning experience.

On another note, would there be a reason a G19 extension wouldn’t fit a G17 mag? And vice versa? I’ve seen some advertised as G19 only.

Back
Top Bottom