• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Glock magazine disassembly

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
Just tried to show my nephew how to pop off the base and remove the spring and follower on a Glock 17 magazine.
Not that it needed cleaning, but it's part of a thorough cleaning if the gun would need it later.

Well, that was a %^&$** of a job !!! There are locking tabs on both sides of the plastic magazine body that engage slots in the sides of the base. It's just just a spring-loaded locking pin sticking through a hole in the base. Nope, it's not like 95% of other centerfire defensive handguns made in the last 50 years.

We had to tape small nuts to the mag body next to those tabs and compress the mag in a bench vise, with the nuts concentrating the force where the side tabs were, to allow the base to be slid back. And even then it was crazy tight.

Yeah stock Glock basepads are horrible to remove. I think it's idiot proofing for LEO. Swap to aftermarket basepads if you shoot it enough to need cleaning or spring replacement.

Magazine baseplates should be difficult to remove.

I think a lot of y’all are concerned about the wrong aspects of your firearms, training, and equipment.

I’ve been running nothing but factory Glock mags since 1996, and never griped about removing baseplates……and I didn’t even get a Glock magazine baseplate removal tool until a few years ago. Numerous companies make this tool, the one below is from Otis.

Yeah, I want to swap from factory spec, very secure baseplates for an aftermarket that comes off much easier. That makes a lot of sense in a weapon I’m gonna bet my life on. NASA has a phrase they use: rapid unscheduled disassembly.

Yes, I’ve seen multiple mags from companies other than Glock come apart, rapidly and unscheduled, over the years.

IMG_0432.jpeg

I understand why you did it. I bought an older HK USP45 and two Beretta 92's. The mags with those definitely needed work. But if you have a problem with Glock mags, take them to Glock in Smyrna and they'll swap them for new or reconditioned mags.

I do like to clean my carry mags now and again, but I have dedicated training for all my regularly used firearms.

My dedicated G19 and G17 training mags have been in regular use for years. They have never been cleaned or disassembled, and have never failed me. They have been used in all sorts of weather and range conditions, dropped on the ground, stepped on, etc.

If my carry mags were also my training mags, I would clean them regularly.

Back
Top Bottom