• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gloves

MaconGuns

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
63   0
Reaction score
Every so often I run across a guy in tacti-cool gear wearing tacti-cool gloves. Its understandable in cold weather but sometimes it looks like 102 in the desert.
Why?

Every so often Ill see a video of a person handling a firearm with latex gloves
(Not the White glove ultra rare items). Why?

Again, every so often Ill see a person cleaning a firearm while wearing gloves. This is kinda understandable because of lead but, Im not going to suck my fingers after cleaning. I dont wear gloves while cleaning. I wash my hands 2 or more times after till I think they are clean.
Do you wear gloves cleaning?

I've seen folks using machine guns at the range wear gloves (heat) and using suppressors wear gloves (I don't, I have enough sense not grab the thing).
Latex for handling them? No idea why. White cotton gloves are what we use to handle rare silver and collectible firearms. I keep a pair hanging on a peg nearby for any arm that needs you to wear them.

I do not wear gloves when cleaning but when I use Butch's Bore Shine I wish did since I smell that stuff for four days afterwards.

Every so often I run across a guy in tacti-cool gear wearing tacti-cool gloves. Its understandable in cold weather but sometimes it looks like 102 in the desert.
Why?

Every so often Ill see a video of a person handling a firearm with latex gloves
(Not the White glove ultra rare items). Why?

Again, every so often Ill see a person cleaning a firearm while wearing gloves. This is kinda understandable because of lead but, Im not going to suck my fingers after cleaning. I dont wear gloves while cleaning. I wash my hands 2 or more times after till I think they are clean.
Do you wear gloves cleaning?
I'll wear gloves when shooting sometimes because if it's a long practice session I'll blister my strong hand middle finger without some kind of protection.

I'll also wear armored gloves if I'm doing action movement practice while shooting. I have a strong tendency to jam my knuckles into things while getting into shooting positions using structures for support and onto the ground and back up again. I don't like to get ground debris on my palms while handling a firearm, so I make a fist for ground support.

I wear latex gloves while cleaning because those chemicals are absorbed right through your skin. You don't have to ingest them. Cleaning a weapon every once in a while without protection probably isn't going to be a problem, but I'll often clean a lot of guns at once and will have solvents and lubes all over my hands for hours.

Ahhh, I can see now that doing dives under cars or dropping to a knee could scuff up the skin. Make sense also for hot barrels. I do not run guns for long training sessions. I shoot a bit then reload, talk a minute, check targets and start again. Sometimes even change guns. No telling how many chemicals Ive absorbed. Ill just deal with the issues in my 80s I guess.

I always wear gloves when cleaning guns or changing oil, and sometimes when shooting certain guns that tend to give me blisters.

Ahhh, I can see now that doing dives under cars or dropping to a knee could scuff up the skin. Make sense also for hot barrels. I do not run guns for long training sessions. I shoot a bit then reload, talk a minute, check targets and start again. Sometimes even change guns. No telling how many chemicals Ive absorbed. Ill just deal with the issues in my 80s I guess.
I started wearing gloves for cleaning when no matter how good my ventilation was I felt like crap for a while after cleaning. That's when I realized I was getting too much through the skin of my hands.

I wear latex gloves while cleaning because those chemicals are absorbed right through your skin. You don't have to ingest them. Cleaning a weapon every once in a while without protection probably isn't going to be a problem, but I'll often clean a lot of guns at once and will have solvents and lubes all over my hands for hours.

I wear weight lifters gloves for heavy recoiling pistols.

Still can feel the trigger, but soaks up a lot of the recoil through the wrist.

I wear latex gloves when cleaning my guns. Why not? Its is protection from harsh solvents, chemicals, and lead.

When working on autos I may wear gloves and may not. Depends on what I am doing.

Gloves when shooting... typically only in the winter or if dealing with excessive moistness or heat.

Back
Top Bottom