• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

GMC 2500HD Duramax as a daily driver?

I don't own a diesel so this may be a stupid question. But whats the cost of the DEF stuff and how often do you have to add it? And why isn't it just already in diesel fuel at the pump?
Good questions. I steer clear of the new emissions engines. They're not as efficient as the older motors. You have a problem with that Def system, you're broke down. Thing is the ultra low sulfur fuel they've been selling since 2007 isn't as efficient as it was before either. That's when they came up with the new engines as well to compensate for the power loss of the old to new fuel

My 2006 LBZ Duramax was the highest maintenance truck that I've ever owned by a longshot, and also the best riding. There might be a reason why the Cummins diesel is in heavy equipment and marine applications throughout the world.

Good questions. I steer clear of the new emissions engines. They're not as efficient as the older motors. You have a problem with that Def system, you're broke down. Thing is the ultra low sulfur fuel they've been selling since 2007 isn't as efficient as it was before either. That's when they came up with the new engines as well to compensate for the power loss of the old to new fuel

I didn’t even know it was fuel related. But makes perfect sense now. The EPA is the problem for a lot of our woes.

I have owned a diesel, and currently drive a 4.6 Tundra which gets all of 16.5 mpg.

It’s your money and ultimately your choice. Your 3/4 ton truck is never going to get 30 mpg, and every mile driven is going to eat at the value of your vehicle. The ability to have a vehicle capable of hauling or towing that much stuff is precious, and the costs involved are huge.

if you just look at fuel costs. At some point it becomes far more economical to buy an older beater with double the gas mileage and park the diesel, even after paying all the associated expenses involved with owning 2 vehicles.

Also comparatively speaking. One is more like a school bus and the other more like a sports car. If you tend to drive aggressively all that acceleration and deceleration in a diesel is going to gulp gas and wear out brakes adding to you expenses.

Reactions: GFB
yea i was asking. i get it if you are basing off a powerstroke. you gotta bulletproof tham everyyear and they get 12mpg. i personally have owned two duramax's and have a collective 700+k on them. both as daily trucks.
pro's
better fuel economy over a comparable gas model
cheaper maintenance over a comparable gas model (yes they are more expensive to repair, but break less.)
longer life span over a comparable gas model
remember the duramax/allison is a over the road engine combo. not a international combine motor converted to a truck (powerstroke) or a light duty trans bolted to the best small diesel (cummins)
its a proven million mile set up. ( all but the seats)
cons
the seats tear up
tons of power
comfortable ride
plenty of room
GM model available in Denali so a escalade with a bed and towing...
wait, these are pros as well
So the leather is an issue?

Here’s a picture of the one I’m looking to buy, which belongs to someone else in my gym parking lot right now.

Attachments

• IMG_0377.jpeg
    IMG_0377.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 17
Thanks fellas. Reliability is my chief concern.

I don’t have time for it to be in the shop and I’ve driven Toyota’s for 20 years.
I would not set my expectations for the reliability experience nor service experience to be the same as the Toyota's you are used to.

Reactions: GFB
So the leather is an issue?

Here’s a picture of the one I’m looking to buy, which belongs to someone else in my gym parking lot right now.
Yeah. Sadly enough I've had two loaded duramaxes three tahoes and a 1500. All of them with leather interior. And all the driver seats tore up. But you can buy replacement covers pretty cheap and they're a little better than stock. But it usually doesn't give you a problem till 70 or 80,000 miles. And of course that depends on how many times you get in and out of the truck.

When did they start putting duramax diesels in OTR or vocational trucks? I have never seen one and I have owned class 8 trucks for over 30 years.

Back
Top Bottom