• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

GMC 2500HD Duramax as a daily driver?

I didn’t even know it was fuel related. But makes perfect sense now. The EPA is the problem for a lot of our woes.
I'll tell ya this. Before 2007, when the fuel went to ultra low sulfur. I could fill up in Oklahoma and drive all the way home, 800+ mi on one tank of fuel and never stop. I can tell you I was getting @550+ mi around town a few years ago with the same truck. So not only do you pay more for fuel, that diesel engine that they made larger due to the inefficient fuel also gets less mpg as well.They made the larger engine to compensate for the fuel which generates less power. They've done the same thing with gasoline. The old model Ts got 30mpg. Notice we're still not doing that much better today after almost a century. Fuel produces less energy so the engines in turn need more power. Then they also make it have more smog equipment on that motor which also robs more power. So you have to buy more fuel at a higher price to accomplish the same thing. There are foreign countries that have cars that get 70mpg. That said, it's a car I doubt many would want to drive plus it won't have the safety features our cars have.

I'll tell ya this. Before 2007, when the fuel went to ultra low sulfur. I could fill up in Oklahoma and drive all the way home, 800+ mi on one tank of fuel and never stop. I can tell you I was getting @550+ mi around town a few years ago with the same truck. So not only do you pay more for fuel, that diesel engine that they made larger due to the inefficient fuel also gets less mpg as well.They made the larger engine to compensate for the fuel which generates less power. They've done the same thing with gasoline. The old model Ts got 30mpg. Notice we're still not doing that much better today after almost a century. Fuel produces less energy so the engines in turn need more power. Then they also make it have more smog equipment on that motor which also robs more power. So you have to buy more fuel at a higher price to accomplish the same thing. There are foreign countries that have cars that get 70mpg. That said, it's a car I doubt many would want to drive plus it won't have the safety features our cars have.

GW Bush is the one we can all thank for turning our corn crops into gas additives. **** hasn’t ran right since.

I read a bit on this issue on gasoline powered engines. It turns out the standards for catalytic converters are different between here and europe, and that accounts for the difference in gas mileage in gasoline powered engines even on identical motors

I don't own a diesel so this may be a stupid question. But whats the cost of the DEF stuff and how often do you have to add it? And why isn't it just already in diesel fuel at the pump?

DEF at the pump is around $3.99/gal and if you buy Shell by the box it's $17, and if you buy BlueDEF it's around $21 and those are 2.5 gallon boxes.

The Duramax engine was designed and built by Isuzu. Isuzu wanted to build a inline 6 cylinder diesel, GM, which owns Isuzu, wanted a V8 diesel. Any truck guy will tell you that you get more torque out of an inline 6 cylinder than a V8. Isuzu wanted to build an inline engine for this reason. The Duramax V8 has never been a commercial engine. Unlike the 7.3 Power Stroke and the Cummins engine that has been used in medium duty trucks.

What I know for sure is that my 15 F350 6.7 is one bad assed ride. 17+ MPG with towing gears. With my 28’ toy hauler loaded down with three+ bikes, tools, and spare parts, I have to keep reminding myself that it’s even there.
Ive had a few trucks pull up on me and it’s not even close. My stuff is OEM Stock, and pulls on Dodge and Chevy. I need to change the limiter, at 95 it’s still has a bunch more RPM, even with the pulling gear.

I have owned a diesel, and currently drive a 4.6 Tundra which gets all of 16.5 mpg.

It’s your money and ultimately your choice. Your 3/4 ton truck is never going to get 30 mpg, and every mile driven is going to eat at the value of your vehicle. The ability to have a vehicle capable of hauling or towing that much stuff is precious, and the costs involved are huge.

if you just look at fuel costs. At some point it becomes far more economical to buy an older beater with double the gas mileage and park the diesel, even after paying all the associated expenses involved with owning 2 vehicles.

Also comparatively speaking. One is more like a school bus and the other more like a sports car. If you tend to drive aggressively all that acceleration and deceleration in a diesel is going to gulp gas and wear out brakes adding to you expenses.
You really need to enter this century, 6.7 Ford or Dodge can run with stock hemi’s. Not that hard to get 1200HP and 1800pd ft of torque. Without major modifications.
My Dually is bone stock and is fast as hell. And by now I’d hope y’all would know that I know…

F Ford, I bought a new 6.0 in 2003, Ford customer service sucks. I've been driving Ford trucks since 1976 and still have 3 Ford diesel trucks in my driveway. But I'll walk before I buy another new Ford of any make or model.

I daily drive a 2017 Chevy 2500 Duramax. Has 88K miles and has been a wonderful truck. Knock on wood.

I have 34” all terrains and still averaged 20MPG to Charleston.

You really need to enter this century, 6.7 Ford or Dodge can run with stock hemi’s. Not that hard to get 1200HP and 1800pd ft of torque. Without major modifications.
My Dually is bone stock and is fast as hell. And by now I’d hope y’all would know that I know…
If they are “as fast as hell”. Why do I have to pass them in the number 2 lane when they are camped out in the fast lane?

Back
Top Bottom