• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

"God made me bulletproof"

It absolutely exploded in the 80s. Perhaps telling enough, NWA was about the only ones pushing the limits with violence.... I guess it worked.... :frown:
Most of the stuff though was self braggadocious (sexuality generally) or just flat out comedic in nature. Not sure when it became 'cool' to rap about shooting cops, killing your street competition, or raping women but hey.... "progress".

we know where it started! Inner cities, the gangs self loathed (gang rap).

A couple of comments in the linked video one guy saying "We have a culture of violence that needs to be addressed" and another saying something along the lines of "Who would think "music" would bring this kind of violence."
When your 'culture' and your 'music' does nothing but glorify violence... well...... "Here's your sign....."

As a kid in the very early 80's I used to listen to rap. The messages and the attitudes were COMPLETELY different.
Stop right there, man. RAP is going on now HIPHOP was what we listened to. Two totally different things. Rap is just that. A sharp, repetitive violent noise.

What is it about rappers which make them so much more likely to be shot and killed? I mean it seems 50% of them are targets.

Rap is a long "your momma" joke, done in public, by guys who: a) carry guns and b) can't take a joke.

The rest of what happens is easily predicted.

Rap is a long "your momma" joke, done in public, by guys who: a) carry guns and b) can't take a joke.

The rest of what happens is easily predicted.

I agree. Must be part of the signing to make the records. Start trouble, and get shot. Builds up there street creds

Back
Top Bottom