• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Golden Tiger 7.62x39

GT was always preferred because they kept the lacquer and case sealant when Wolf and others went to poly with no sealant.

I think the Monarch brand that Academy stocks might be made by Barnaul?

What happened with the GT?

AKOU's tests focused more on consistency than anything else. They were looking to see what the variation was between different rounds as they shot them through a chrono. The bigger the spread the 'worse' the ammo since that would spread the groups out.

I forget the exact numbers, but the Brown Bear was the only one of the major steel-case brands that did well. I want to say Hornady Steel did well too, but that could be wrong. The 'good' ones had a deviation in the single digits. The typical ones were in the high teens and 20s.

Here's the actual videos. I watched these a while ago so I may be off on the details. I just remember being surprised that GT didn;t do that well in them after hearing all the good reviews elsewhere.

It is good ammo. Factory making it was the last USSR ammo factory brought online, built specifically to supply the troops facing the Chinese.
GT is the only Russian ammo that uses a Boat Tail FMJ bullet.
Be careful to find out when tests are done. My favorite ammo is Ulyanovsk-made Wolf Classic HP, BUT Tula bought them out several years ago, and quality went way down. I still have old Uly production cases, and I am holding onto them.

Russian shooters, on Guns.ru, prefer Barnaul made ammo, (Brown Bear, Sapsan). That's what I stock now, along with GT.

Excellent choices. I really like the GT, but the Barnaul stuff is probably my favorite. Brown Bear, Monarch...That stuff is awesome.

Honestly, I have never come across Russian steel ammo that didn't work. Tula is my least favorite, but it works.

These companies make very decent pistol ammo too. For plinking you can't beat it.

The BTSP GT will be my choice for a hunting round. It has always shot fairly accurate in my AK's and will work great in the brushy southern zone.

Back
Top Bottom