• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Good knife sharpener?

I use the belt grinder and generally on to a paper wheel with white rouge with the knives I make. The paper wheel is mounted on a bench grinder. You can also use a buffer with a harder wheel and compound. The paper wheel and buffer are simply mechanical stropping. One of those "sharpening steels" that you see in butcher shops or that chefs use also work very well.

The HF belt sander is worth buying and you can find quality belts online. I start at 220 grit or higher depending if I'm cutting a new edge or just honing. Once you see the burr and work it off you can polish for the "polished edge" that slices paper and shaves well OR you can leave a little of the toothy edge from the abrasive belt. The toothy edge will not shave as well but will be better for cutting meat or rope, etc. Think of it as micro serrations.

Check out my post here: http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/knife-sharpening.945755/page-2

It is what I use after setting the bevel on my belt grinder. If your knives already have the bevel set (they do) you will not need the belt grinder part. This thing gets them crazy sharp. It's similar to the lanskey, but 3 times more expensive. I must say though, I easily like it 3 times more. I sharpen a lot of knives though. As a starter I would definitely recommend the Lanskey. Tough to beat for that price. And if you do get it, I highly highly highly recommend watching This video:

Any place local that sells the KME setups that you know of? The system looked to be very good and about 1/3 the price of the WickedEdge. Just the fact that you use it is a very good endorsement for me.

Only other question on the KME, would the diamond or stones be better for regular guys. I'm not going to be making blades, just cleaning up edges.

I have the lansky and have both the diamond and stones. I feel that the course stone work better that the course diamond but the finer diamond stones last longer that the standard rock type stones. If you are just refreshing an edge on a knife then the diamond work great. However, if you are putting a new edge on a very dull knife or need to change the angel of the edge the rock work better.

Back
Top Bottom