• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Good ole Mosin

Sure_Shot

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
72   0
Reaction score
I have a soft spot for old military rifles. Always have. Something about to robustness and weight of them along with usually cheap ammo and getting old technology to shoot accurately.

That said I have modern hunting rifles. Lever guns and bolt guns. But I always tend to enjoy shooting my SKS rifles and Mosin Nagants the most.

So I've decided to do a little project build. Specifically with a Mosin Nagant 91/30.

I'm going to turn a stock Mosin Nagant rifle into a sweet little scout, well semi scout package.

I'm going to chop the barrel to 22 inches or so, thread it for a flash suppressor, chop the stock forearm accordingly and refinish completely stripping all stains and applying multiple coats of truoil. Since I'm cutting off the front sight I'm going to remove the rear sight, knock off the base exposing the dovetail underneath and installing a brass stacker low mount rail. Adding a quality scout scope. Polishing the trigger internals, adding a trigger shim. Installing a safety ring on the back of the safety and adding an extended butt pad.

Questions. Does anyone have any pointers for this process? What to look for in buying a new to me Mosin for the build? Maybe go a different route on the scope mount? Trigger mod recommendations?

My goal is to have an optic only, somewhat handi Mosin. I'm just a sucker for a challenge.

I'm not big on the Brasstacker mount but that's only because of looks. From what I've seen its a decent mount. I do like the replacement front sight base they sell for cheap. My Mosin project has been at a stand still for a while. My problem is that I really wanted to just buy a Type 53 shave the bayonet lug,refinish the wood and be done. But I couldn't find one anywhere close and bought a 91/30. I cut my barrel to right at 17" and haven't recrowned it yet. I cut the stock and barrel cover down and reshaped the ends. I've tried to use satin clear on it and then Rustoleum camo green. But the wood seems to dent and ding really easy. I want to stay with a factory wood stock but don't currently know what to do. I'd like to just drop it in a T53/M44 stock.
Now if you want to do the turned down bolt conversion I strongly recommend Big Gorilla Gun Works down in Florida. He did mine for under $70.00. Oh and I'm still trying to find someone down here to thread the muzzle for the birdcage brake from an AR10 that cmshoot cmshoot gave me.

IMG_20170218_112101648.jpg
But yeah I love how simple Mosins are.

Attachments

• IMG_20170218_112038684.jpg
    IMG_20170218_112038684.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20170218_112046333.jpg
    IMG_20170218_112046333.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 13
Yep. I'd like to do some work to mine (and got it for said purpose) and turn it into a 600 yd comp rifle.. but its all numbers matching (including bayonette) and I just cant do it

Please Bubba an already bubba'd mosin ...that's all

-a mosin purist-

I was thinking about finding a beautiful m44 and take the hack saw to it. Add the tacticool crap stock on it, lights, bipod, forward pistol grip, jb weld a scope mount on it ONLY after I attempt to drill and tap a scope mount with holes that are out of alignment.

You know, make a one of a kind, CUSTOM Mosin, then turn around and try to sell it on here for $500

Realistically, I'm gonna try to find a cheap Mosin that's stock is rough and metal is missing bluing or even some light rust. As long as the bore is shiney and rifling is deep, I'm all game

The best advice that i can give is to take your time and find a really good shooter first, or you'll just be putting lipstick on a pig. I went through More than 20 mosins over a year and a half before i found the base rifle for my project.

My second best advice is to totally pass on the dovetail scope kits altogether. Since your goal is accuracy you'll want something much more sold that desn't work loose with the recoil. I only use the Rock Solid Industries mount and turned down bolt handle myself, but i've heard that there are others that may be equally as good. I remove the rear sight assembly and dovetail altogether (thanks @Shrek926 ).

Lastly, go with a timney trigger kit. I gained 1/2 moa from having a lighter, crisp trigger pull, and the thumb safety is sweet.

Just my opinion of course, but i am getting 2-1/2-2-3/4" groupings at 200 yds with stock ammo, and others have used it and done a little better......

image.jpeg

The best advice that i can give is to take your time and find a really good shooter first, or you'll just be putting lipstick on a pig. I went through a little over 20 mosins over a year and a half before i found the base rifle for my project.

My second best advice is to totally pass on the dovetail scope kits altogether. Since your goal is accuracy you'll want something much more sold that desn't work loose with the recoil. I only use the Rock Solid Industries mount and turned down bolt handle myself, but i've heard that there are others that may be equally as good. I remove the rear sight assembly and dovetail altogether (thanks @Shrek926 ).

Lastly, go with a timney trigger kit. I gained 1/2 moa from having a lighter, crisp trigger pull, and the thumb safety is sweet.

Just my opinion of course, but i am getting 2-1/2 " and sometimes less groupings at 200 yds with stock ammo, and others have used it and done a little better......

View attachment 1068256
Looks good! And sounds like an amazingly accurate rifle for what it is.

Back
Top Bottom