• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Good starting for an interest in reloading would be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delete

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
2   0
Reaction score
My family has several bolt action rifles and honestly, just tired of paying $1+ a round. If I do the math on reloading, you can load your own for a good bit less than that. I do tend to be a perfectionist, and as a result, have been very intrigued with the idea of reloading BUT I have no experience with it. Given that these are essentially deer rifles, I would be shocked if we fired a total of 300 rounds a year. I am looking at very basic options here. Nothing like the $1k progressive setups I see.
I have looked in the previous threads all the way back into last year, but don't see any that really answer this:

For an absolute beginner, where would be the best starting point to learn more about reloading?

All advice and insight greatly appreciated!!!:ear:

I have to TOTALLY disagree with it not being worth it. I reload a lot more than I shoot because I enjoy reloading. If your goal is solely financial, it would be difficult to recoup your initial investment. But if you put a price on the satisfaction of making gun specific ammo that out-shoots anything you could buy from WallyWorld, get into it. It sounds like you would not need anything fancy. You could buy Lee stuff new for cheap but I would recommend buying higher quality stuff used for the same price. Pick up an old RCBS single stage, caliber specific dies, calipers and a scale (the one thing you really don't want to skimp on). You'll also need some form of brass trimming on rifle rounds. That's the BARE minimum (besides components) to get started. There's enough info out there to get as involved as you could imagine on the net alone, not counting the plethora of books and magazines. Like anything, you'll get out what you put in. And if your wanting quality rifle ammo, be prepared to put in a lot of time.

I'm not an expert on reloading. Only been at it about two years. But I do feel like I went about it in the proper manner. I studied and read everything I could for probably 3-4 months before I bought anything. When I felt comfortable, I placed my 1st order through Midway. I knew all of the studying paid off when the order arrived and I had not overlooked anything I may have needed, set everything up on the 1st try and made a perfect .45acp round on the 1st pull of the handle. Don't expect every round to come out like that. I've had my fare share of crushed cases, missed primers, feeding issues from one gun to the next (no over or under charges YET) but there are enough resources available to help remedy any problems which may arise. There was a video I watched probably 10 times before I started reloading, "learn to handload in 40 minutes" that showed you how to set up all of your equipment. I still have a copy of it if you ever need it. It was invaluable as far as my learning curve was concerned. Sorry to be long winded. As you may can tell, I get excited about introducing reloading to new guys. Trust me, there's a lot more knowledgable than I on here, but if you ever have any questions about any of the basics, I'd be happy to help.

If you only want to load for one caliber and are willing to only use your your brass in the rifle from which it was initially fired:

I would get a Lee Classic Cast press, a Lee collet neck sizer die and seating die for your favorite caliber, and a scale.

You can wipe the brass clean and brush out the necks and then reload it. No lube required and normally no trimming.

Neck sizing only works well in bolt action or single shot guns. I have been using this process for 30-06 for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom