Good survival knife choice

CCR

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
Banned Permanently
7   0
Reaction score
I had no clue there are so many knife makers these days. I was always a fan of Ka-Bar as I had one as a kid. Judging from online reviews, KaBar's aren't that great and overrated. I'm looking for a good knife for a bug out bag, one that can take a beating and keep coming back for more. Criteria: serrated bottom edge of blade, fine on the upper portion, guard/bolster (like a Ka-Bar), lanyard holes for spear attaching if need be, and a sheath (with a sharpener would be great). Any ideas?
I really like the Gerber LMF II, anyone know much about it or have one?

I have the Gerber LMF II,in OD.They are a great knife that is very robust,good finish and a million ways to attach it to your gear.Its truly insulated ,has lashing attachments so that one could make a spear if he wished,also a truly heavy duty pommel to bash the #$%^^,out of something or to break glass,its sheath has a built in sharpener;and it also looks cool.It is a serious knife that is capable of handeling alot of abuse in a harsh enviornment.In my opinion its well worth the entry price of 100.00.It may not be the best looking knife made with exotic materials and the like,but it is a solid contender,sort of the "Glock"in survival knifes.Get yourself one,its money well spent on a necessary tool,that may help you survive in harsh,dangerous,and hostile sutuation,or just to take camping,hunting or backpacking.Love mine as you can tell.Best Regards to all.....

I have the Gerber LMF II,in OD.They are a great knife that is very robust,good finish and a million ways to attach it to your gear.Its truly insulated ,has lashing attachments so that one could make a spear if he wished,also a truly heavy duty pommel to bash the #$%^^,out of something or to break glass,its sheath has a built in sharpener;and it also looks cool.It is a serious knife that is capable of handeling alot of abuse in a harsh enviornment.In my opinion its well worth the entry price of 100.00.It may not be the best looking knife made with exotic materials and the like,but it is a solid contender,sort of the "Glock"in survival knifes.Get yourself one,its money well spent on a necessary tool,that may help you survive in harsh,dangerous,and hostile sutuation,or just to take camping,hunting or backpacking.Love mine as you can tell.Best Regards to all.....

I have the se knife but in the ASEK model for air crew survival. I've got a coyote brown one and a foliage green one. They even have a built in sharpener. Good knives.

Thanks ridge! It seemed like that knife got a lot of good reviews!

- - - Updated - - -

I have the se knife but in the ASEK model for air crew survival. I've got a coyote brown one and a foliage green one. They even have a built in sharpener. Good knives.
Thanks for the report!

USAF Survival Knife is in my bag. It's old school but it works. I've used it to split wood, dig holes, hammer tent stakes, as a prybar, and for general camp chores. The saw is mediocre but it can and will get the job done. The sheath is well made and comes with a sharpener.

The Gerber LMF is a decent knife but I have been hearing that their recent production run is bad. I am a big fan of the Becker, Ontario, and ESEE knives. If you are only going to carry on knife go for a blade length of 4 to 7 inches.

Back
Top Bottom