• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Idea: Multi-caliber survival revolver

If there were a multi-caliber revolver on the market, I'd base my buying decision on

• the size and weight and shape of the gun itself

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • the number of different caliber inserts or sleeve sets available for it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • the cost of the gun (primarily)

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • the cost of both the gun and 3-4 sets of sleeves.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • the cost of both the gun and 5-8 sets of sleeves; I'd want to be able to shoot any popular calibr

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
What do y'all think of a survivalist scenario handgun that is basically a blend between a 19th century "pepperbox" gun that fires directly from an extra-long cylinder without any barrel in front of the cylinder and a modern DA/SA revolver?

I'm thinking some gun company could make a revolver that has an extra-long cylinder made of a lightweight aluminum alloy (or titanium alloy) but which uses sets of 5 or 6 stainless steel sleeves or inserts. Each insert would be caliber-specific and have both a chamber section and a rifled bore section. They could be keyed so they don't rotate in the cylinder when used, and only the bullet spins.

The gun's single fixed "barrel" would be just an oversized bloop tube that doesn't touch the bullets passing through it. The bore would be just a tunnel, and it would serve as a flash hider. It would also increase the gun's sight radius and make the pistol more accurate when aimed and more likely to hit when point-shooting / shooting from the hip.

The gun's frame and cylinder would have to be large, but the grip and reach to the trigger could be smaller, like a normal S&W K-frame or L-frame revolver has. Both the frame and the cylinder could be made of materials lighter than steel.

Imagine the gun only comes with one set of 6 chamber inserts in some mega-popular caliber like .357 mag, but you could get sets of other caliber inserts to shoot .410 shotgun shells and .45 long Colt rounds, 10mm and .40 S&W ammo, 9mm would be another set, and finally for training newbies and kids, a set of .22LR sleeves (They'd be bored off-center so the gun's firing pin strikes the rim of the rimfire rounds).
There's a Forgotten Weapons video about just such a revolver. Can't remember the brand but it was expensive in the 90s when it was released and pretty much a sales failure.

You can buy inserts for your Judge or Govenor to shoot anything from a 410 round down to a 22lr round. The problem is Keeping up with multible sets of inserts!

I can reload 410 or 45lc easier than keeping up with multible inserts. 410's can be load with a variety of shot and powder charges. The kit is simple to keep up with as well.

You can buy inserts for your Judge or Govenor to shoot anything from a 410 round down to a 22lr round. The problem is Keeping up with multible sets of inserts!

I can reload 410 or 45lc easier than keeping up with multible inserts. 410's can be load with a variety of shot and powder charges. The kit is simple to keep up with as well.

came to post this. the idea already exists for 410 shotguns (or revolvers) and 12 gauge shotguns as well. Basically it allows you to shoot whatever ammo, but yeah you need one of these tubes for each type of round. You get crap accuracy because it's mostly "hotdog down a hallway" after the round leaves the section of tube.

It's a lot cheaper and easier (and logistically simpler) to just pick a gun, pick a caliber, and buy an "apocalypse supply" of good ammo.

If you're thinking you will be living off the land and scavenging some 32 short rounds you find in an abandoned farmhouse, well, that's unlikely. I keep ~500 rounds of quality rifle and pistol ammo in 556, 9mm, 45, and 1k in 22lr. If the end of the world happens that's more than a lifetime supply. If it doesn't happen, it's cheap insurance.

came to post this. the idea already exists for 410 shotguns (or revolvers) and 12 gauge shotguns as well. Basically it allows you to shoot whatever ammo, but yeah you need one of these tubes for each type of round. You get crap accuracy because it's mostly "hotdog down a hallway" after the round leaves the section of tube.

Yeah, those shotgun chamber inserts are the same size as a regular shotgun shell. I think 2.75"
So that means that the "bore" section, forward of the chamber, is very short. The bullet will only move an inch before exiting the bore, and then freely flying without any further "push" as it goes down the big shotgun barrel's factory bore.

Because of that, the makers of these shotgun -to-handgun chamber inserts don't even bother to rifle them, do they?

My chamber inserts would be twice as long, and all would be rifled, with a tight enough fit to actually spin the handgun bullets coming through them.

The smith model 53 is an example of something along those lines. Although it was a large revolver it was ahead of its time, but never took off. I have an example at home I shoot 22lr through often. It also shoots the 22 jet which is a 357 cartridge necked down to 22. The revolver was sold with six nickel-wash-coated steel adapter inserts chambered for the .22 long rifle cartridge. Something along these lines could come with inserts for many different calibers.

Attachments

• model 53.jpg
    model 53.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 5
Yeah, those shotgun chamber inserts are the same size as a regular shotgun shell. I think 2.75"
So that means that the "bore" section, forward of the chamber, is very short. The bullet will only move an inch before exiting the bore, and then freely flying without any further "push" as it goes down the big shotgun barrel's factory bore.

Because of that, the makers of these shotgun -to-handgun chamber inserts don't even bother to rifle them, do they?

My chamber inserts would be twice as long, and all would be rifled, with a tight enough fit to actually spin the handgun bullets coming through them.
no you can get them short and rifled: https://www.gunadapters.com/12-gauge-to-9mm-luger-rifled-zombie-series/

or longer. this has an 8" barrel so even better ballistics than some pistols

Back
Top Bottom