• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Good value/performance scope?

Sagan

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
38   0
Reaction score
Looking for a decent low priced scope for my AR-15 flat top. Goal is to shoot 300+ yds, and my blind a$$ needs to be able to see that far first ;). Any suggestions for brand/power/mount? Trying to keep the price under 100 if possible. I know that is not likely, but, hey... got to have a goal. Also, if anyone knows a good website that carries them at a reasonable price, or has one of their own for sale, let me know. I have a post in the WTB section as well.

Thanks,

Joe

The cheapest scopes that you will find for something like that that are actually not a waste of money are the super sniper scopes. They aren't high end, but I have a couple buddies who put them on their Rem 700's and they work just fine. You definately aren't going to find anything worth a crap for 100 bucks. You can find good mounts made by A.R.M.S. and Badger makes good rings as well. Just remember, in most cases you get what you pay for. Some of the low end leupolds wouldn't be a bad buy either and they come with lifetime warranties. Just make sure whatever scope rings you get are high enough so that the objective lense clears your rail on the upper receiver. If you get the low profile rings and a 40mm obj lense, you will have issues.

As for power, 3.5-10 should me more than plenty for you. With an AR your max effective range is going to be around 600yds so you don't really want to go much higher than 10. The higher power usually gets really hazy, especially when its a day with a lot of mirage out or when your barrel heats up from shooting a bunch and the mirage washes out your scope.

The S1 series from Sightron are exceptionable for the $$$. I have the S1 3X9 mildot mounted on 3 of my ARs'. For a high power the Midway Simmons exclusive 6.5X20 is another good scope. The Simmons is on sale now, $109.99 for the standard cross, $124.99 for the mil dot. The Simmons scope are big, and a little on the heavy side, but are way above average in quality.

I'm not sure how much you know about scopes and features but against my better judgement( I'm a leupold man) I just ordered and recieved a vortex diamondback 3-9x40 from SWFA. It has an argon gas purged main tube, they have fully multicoated optics (superior to coated optics and multi coated optics) they also have turrets that can be reset to zero once your rifle is zeroed. minimum 91% light transmission, I have heard great things about their VIP warranty. Basicly if you dont lose it or it dosent get stolen it's covered.
I haven't got a chance to shoot it yet but I am quite impressed by my initial checking it out in low light conditions.
I bought it off the Sample list for $129
BHJ

Went with the Pentax gameseeker 3-12x 40. Got it from Sportsman's Guide for under 65.00. I have to say, I am seriously impressed with it's clarity.

The 6.5 X 20 simmons from midwayusa.com is hard to beat. I have four of them on target rifles (223,22-250,308) with alot of rounds shot with them and never had a problem.

Cheaper model scopes are fine if you are going to set one zero and leave it, but if you are going to be adjusting often IE to adjust impact of your round for different ranges, often* you will notice that the adjustments can be very inconsistent and a return to zero after making adjustments can also be rough. Just something to keep in mind. All depends on the level of shooting you are doing I guess.

Back
Top Bottom