• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

good year trapping (pic heavy) updated 2/27

Now a large lake they would keep balance in the ecosystem but in a smaller farm pond/small lake they really unbalance it. Their will be mounds of just otter scat on the lakes. Its crazy

even those you would be surprised, its extremely hard to unbalance an ecosystem with external predators like that as they really don't really focus on bait fish, one of the best fishing ponds I knew had more turtles then you've ever seen and plenty of otter too. I'd say almost any lake with fishing issues has either A. too little bait fish population/wrong type or B. and most common too many types or too many predator fish. Best thing you can ever do for a lake is actually pull out every small bass (i'd say under 10inch)

Gotcha'. I had (until it drained) a beaver pond in my backyard and used to enjoy watching a group of three fish it in the mornings. They are amazing swimmers. I have a VERY small fishing pond at my cabin and did NOT enjoy watching another group of three fish it. But then turns out I may have some 2 legged fish predators as well, sooo... :mmph: You wouldn't happen to trap them would you? :becky:
Their swimming skills are amazing! They are so fast! And no not yet wish they would pass it one day though! Lol

even those you would be surprised, its extremely hard to unbalance an ecosystem with external predators like that as they really don't really focus on bait fish, one of the best fishing ponds I knew had more turtles then you've ever seen and plenty of otter too. I'd say almost any lake with fishing issues has either A. too little bait fish population/wrong type or B. and most common too many types or too many predator fish. Best thing you can ever do for a lake is actually pull out every small bass (i'd say under 10inch)
The lady does manage it that way actually. You have to keep the small bass. Ive pulled 16 otters out of her lake in 2 years. That's just during season.. 16 otter on a lake under a acre is pretty high.

The lady does manage it that way actually. You have to keep the small bass. Ive pulled 16 otters out of her lake in 2 years. That's just during season.. 16 otter on a lake under a acre is pretty high.

Wow yah that's a pretty crazy population for an acre, im surprised they weren't running each other out at that point and yup always take out the small ones and any other fish you arnt trying to get large (pullout all catfish and crappie as well for good sized bass) I'd also recommend she checks the hardness and alkalinity of her pond as almost all water in GA is very very soft and not good for maintaining large population of microorganisms and algae blooms, prob need to dump some lime in.

IMG_5632.jpg
IMG_9077.jpg

Here is todays rainy haul. Thanks for looking guys!

Back
Top Bottom