• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

great cheap knife?

Knives are like anything else.....You get what you pay for.

If you are just going to be using it for field craft then I would suggest either a Khukri or a small hatchet, and keep a small strong blade on your person.

Personally I carry a Zero Tolerance 0350 and LOVE it but they are proud of them. Spyderco/benchmade/cold steel/sog/ etc all make great EDC blades.

What do you intend to do with the blade? Cut cordage? Fillet fish? Chop small limbs? Will this be your only blade?

No knife will do everything so you need to tailor your search to the needs that this blade will be used for.
I'd say something used to cut meat or just basic outdoors type stuff. Does that help any?

Knives are like anything else.....You get what you pay for.

If you are just going to be using it for field craft then I would suggest either a Khukri or a small hatchet, and keep a small strong blade on your person.

Personally I carry a Zero Tolerance 0350 and LOVE it but they are proud of them. Spyderco/benchmade/cold steel/sog/ etc all make great EDC blades.

A lot of that stuff is out of my price range but you have been a lot of help and the Zero Tolerance 0350 looks amazing but then again out of my price range

I too carry a zero tolerance and think they are great options. If you want a knife that will hold an edge then focus on blade steel and heat treat more than aesthetics. Only a couple of folding knives under the $100 range have truly great steels with edge holding and wear resistance. If you are indeed looking for a folder then $70 will get you a kershaw blur with an s30v blade that will last you a life time. If you are looking for a fixed blade then you have more options and I certainly agree that the BK&T (Becker) knives are great choices. In the sub-$100 category the boker plus series, kershaw, and Ontario fixed blades offer a good value. For folders in that range, I would look to kershaw and spyderco but Benchmade has their griptilian series in that range. Look for knives with sandvik or 154cm steels in that price range. Just another .02 :)

Go to flea markets and look for used quality brands. I got this 150$+ Sog seal 2000 for 30$ just because it was in rough looking shape and had no sheath. Thus is one awesome heavy duty, full tang knife. I polished the blade and re-profiled the edge to a hair popping 20 degrees. I decapitated a coyote and deer the other day and the knife just almost falls through with no real pressure needed.

But for new knives, yes mora are great for the cost.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I too carry a zero tolerance and think they are great options. If you want a knife that will hold an edge then focus on blade steel and heat treat more than aesthetics. Only a couple of folding knives under the $100 range have truly great steels with edge holding and wear resistance. If you are indeed looking for a folder then $70 will get you a kershaw blur with an s30v blade that will last you a life time. If you are looking for a fixed blade then you have more options and I certainly agree that the BK&T (Becker) knives are great choices. In the sub-$100 category the boker plus series, kershaw, and Ontario fixed blades offer a good value. For folders in that range, I would look to kershaw and spyderco but Benchmade has their griptilian series in that range. Look for knives with sandvik or 154cm steels in that price range. Just another .02 :)

I would much rather have a fixed blade over a folder.

Back
Top Bottom