• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

great cheap knife?

Uh... nobody has mentioned the good ole Ka-Bar? It's been carried by the military for decades. I got mine for $50, looks like Amazon has them for a little more right now.

If you want a smaller knife, check out the Ka-Bar Becker Necker. Wrap it with paracord and you're good to go. - $40

On the "stays sharp" point - realize that if it holds an edge well, it'll also be harder to sharpen. Most quality knives in your budget would be just fine though. Same point for serrated knives, you can't sharpen them in the woods.

Go to flea markets and look for used quality brands. I got this 150$+ Sog seal 2000 for 30$ just because it was in rough looking shape and had no sheath. Thus is one awesome heavy duty, full tang knife. I polished the blade and re-profiled the edge to a hair popping 20 degrees. I decapitated a coyote and deer the other day and the knife just almost falls through with no real pressure needed.

But for new knives, yes mora are great for the cost.
View attachment 183151
View attachment 183150

If I could find a deal like that then it would be awesome not to big on the serrated blade though.

I went to smoky mountain knife works to get a mora, but this one is cheaper and made out of an old file. So I ordered both

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 29
You will have to get into the treeline and figure out what outdoor tasks you will be tackling. The choice of knives is a personal preference. Some like Moras, some modify Old Hickory kitchen knives, some choose the Randall model 18's. They all work-Cold steel also makes a line of inexpensive fixed blades.(I'm kind partial to my Bark River Bravo 1, Randall model 28 and model 16-none below $50 however )The Swiss army OHT is a winner but it's a folder.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Not a fan of him so I don't really wanna give him more money. lol just saying.

If u follow his advice u will brake every rule of survival and likely die. "I'll take an unnecessary risk and climb down this 100' cliff then get wet" he is a dumb ***. A folding saw for $5 is a great idea and I love love love a good machete.

Last edited:
And the Bushman are great too if you want to pole mount it for a spear. I have one but the round, metal handle doesn't feel as "grippy". All that"you get what you pay for stuff must be relative. For 25 bucks you can get a helluva knife.

Another feature about the GI Tanto is that it is shaped to act as a guard. The bushman and several others leave your fingers unprotected from the blade. A sweaty hand can easily slip forward and a good edge will slice you. Also, I have thrown the GI Tanto and while I'm not great at it the knife flies well and hits solidly. It also takes a pretty decent edge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom