• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Great coffee.

Bear44

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
For most of my life I've been a pretty basic coffee drinker. Folgers and Maxwell House. Whatever the Mess Sergeant saw fit to put in the pot and restaurant coffee. I've recently started to look for better stuff and I think I hit paydirt. Gevalia is simply next level good stuff. The stronger, the better.

What's the brand that wakes you up in the morning?

For most of my life I've been a pretty basic coffee drinker. Folgers and Maxwell House. Whatever the Mess Sergeant saw fit to put in the pot and restaurant coffee. I've recently started to look for better stuff and I think I hit paydirt. Gevalia is simply next level good stuff. The stronger, the better.

What's the brand that wakes you up in the morning?
Bear, you haven't even scratched the surface of good coffee. Gevalia is WAY down the list. There's a whole world out there waiting for you. It's difficult to make a recommendation because I don't know what you like, but there is a lot of variety. Grinding your own beans is a surefire way to improve the flavor as well. Get a proper grinder and buy whole beans. Then go wild.

The house blend below is excellent. (Coming from a seasoned coffee snob)

We started out with Gevalia over 20 years ago when they were subscription only (and gave you a free, very nice coffee maker). Whole bean always, as I like to grind it fresh. Later, for a lower cost, we went with Eight O'Clock regular (whole bean) and still enjoy that between the much more expensive Black Rifle Coffee shipments ("Just Black" is all we've ever tried).
Occasionally, Publix has a decent sale on various coffees, and we've tried the Hawaiian Kona and a few others. IHOP has the best, but they will not sell it.

Weekdays I drink Eight O'Clock columbian whole bean. Decent enough, full flavored and smooth.
Weekends I indulge. I drink Alma Coffee Embrace or Soulmate roasts. Wonderful flavor, silky smooth and they're a local business near me.

Coffee is very similar to wine in that beans taste different based on how they’re made and where they’re from. Look online and order some different beans:

Spiller Park’s coffee is good.
Jittery Joes has some nice ones, and a wide selection.
Dynamite Coffee (Montana Negra) is my current favorite.
Some people love 1000 Faces, some hate it. They roast to the 2nd crack, which gives it an intense tang that not everyone cares for. I like it, my wife does not.

Beulah Land Beulah Land has a friend who does roasting in W Georgia. She has some great info on different types of beans, how they’re processed, and flavors.

You won’t get the best coffee in a grocery store - the production is too small. Experiment and try different bean varieties, roast levels and wash processes. You’ll never look back at Gevalia again.

Back
Top Bottom