• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Green stained 870 stock I hope!!!

loadnplenty

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
197   0
Reaction score
image.jpeg
So I have always wanted a green stained stock but I have never been able to find a suitable color. After digging and digging I finally found a way to stain a stock green with the color I want. As it turns out a lot of staining and finishing techniques are readily available on guitar forums.

So I found out a cheap and simple way to either make your own custom color or use an out of the box color is with oil based paints for people who paint pictures. First you have to make sure it is linseed oil based paint. With this you can either tint Tru Oil or if you are into mixing your own boiled linseed oil with wax and turpentine since both are linseed oil based. Or you can dilute the paint with mineral spirits and apply as a stain and finish with Tru Oil or BLO mixture.

So here is what I picked up at Hobby Lobby for $13.00

IMG_8967.JPG
So next was to find a donor stock to try this with. A co-worker offered up an 870 stock he had refinished twice!!! And not in a good way. He rough sanded the original finish so black spray paint would stick. Some places he got into the wood and others he didn't. Then when it started to flake and chip he sanded it again. This time all the way to the wood. Then sprayed polyurethane on it without removing 100% of the prior two finishes. So here is the stock.

Last edited:
Dang man, just looking at that stock,running over it with a propane torch before sanding the ridges might add an interesting effect.
Cant wait to see what you've got up your sleeve this time :)

Dang man, just looking at that stock,running over it with a propane torch before sanding the ridges might add an interesting effect.
Cant wait to see what you've got up your sleeve this time :)

yeah I had to break out the orbital sander to get rid of them

So here is the stock after stripping and sanding. I had to use my orbital sander with 150 grit to get rid of the ridges the best I could. Before I used it you could not see any of the grain it was just a mess. Here it is after finishing by hand with 240 grit. My goal was not to get this stock perfect since the dimension's were crap when I got it. goal here was to get the grain where it was visible to see how this mix will work.
IMG_8970.JPG

Back
Top Bottom